Have you ever seen 80 Bottles of Pliny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I have...they are chillin in my fridge....jealous?
80 Bottles of Pliny
Pliny the Elder.jpg

All you have to do is fly to California. Take a tour of the brewery. Get bombed on Pliny the Younger all day. Buy 5 cases of Pliny the Elder. Convince nice man at local box and ship store to Fed Ex them home in wine crates. It cost a crap load of money....but I think I'm set for a while.

I didn't pay for the whole thing. I went in with a couple friends. SWMBO would kill me if I spent 800 bucks on beer....actually she may still kill me....oh well at least I will be drunk on Pliny when the gun goes off :)

I've never seen one bottle :( Still trying to get my hands on one out here.

I know this sounds awful....but I'm not sharing. Only a third of these are mine. It was a huge PITA to get them back home. I had to take a pic with the fridge full.

It's nice to have a connection in SF. If it makes anyone feel better who can't get it: Pliny is good, but it's not like Jesus' tears or anything.

Nice collection there.

It's nice to have a connection in SF. If it makes anyone feel better who can't get it: Pliny is good, but it's not like Jesus' tears or anything.

Nice collection there.

You are wrong, if they are $10 a bottle final cost, they are better than Jesus' tears. Those are 8.99 at costco

I have sampled one bottle so far. I tried it up against the batch we made last month. I still have a few gallons left. I bought The Pliny Packs from Farmhouse Brewing. Side by side they are really close. The real Pliny is just a little hoppier and a tad sweeter than ours...I think because we didn't hop our mash and we missed our FG by a couple points but I am surprised at how close they are though....my buddy and I brewed a 10 gallon batch about 6 weeks ago. I had never had the real deal until last week and hadn't tried them side by side until last night. So next time I'm gonna hop the mash and up the grain bill and see where that gets me.

Most of us can buy it easily online (unless your State hates you). So there is no reason to go without if you are willing to pay for shipping.

I have sampled one bottle so far. I tried it up against the batch we made last month. I still have a few gallons left. I bought The Pliny Packs from Farmhouse Brewing. Side by side they are really close. The real Pliny is just a little hoppier and a tad sweeter than ours...I think because we didn't hop our mash and we missed our FG by a couple points but I am surprised at how close they are though....my buddy and I brewed a 10 gallon batch about 6 weeks ago. I had never had the real deal until last week and hadn't tried them side by side until last night. So next time I'm gonna hop the mash and up the grain bill and see where that gets me.

PtE hasn't been mashed hopped in years. Per Vinnie the recipe is a moving target but if you take any of the recipes he has given out over the years (the most recent did not have any mash hopping) everything before 45 minutes they have been doing with hop extract for a few years. Northern Brewer carries a product called Hop Shot which is similar to if not identical to the extract RR uses.

My local craft stores seem to be unable to get this stuff so the picture doesn't really strike me as I've never had it. I will be in San Diego in April, though and I think I need to make an effort to seek this one out based on the rave reviews HBT gives it.

Cracks me up that the seller thinks disclaiming that the auction is for the container and not the contents is going to skirt the "no alcohol sales" rule.

Actually it's allowed. You can sell full containers so long as the "item of value" is claimed to be the container itself.

Actually, it's not even a grey area. The rules say:

– The value of the item is in the collectible container, not its contents. (untrue regarding the Pliny in the ad. Stating that the beer is worthless doesn't make it true. Empty the bottles and try to get the same price for the bottle.)
– The container has not been opened and any incidental contents are not intended for consumption.
– The item is not available at any retail outlet. (it's available in a lot of retail outlets)
– The seller will take all appropriate steps to ensure that the buyer is of lawful age in the buyer’s and seller's jurisdiction. In general, this is 21 years of age.
– Both the buyers and sellers ensure that the sale complies with all applicable laws and shipping regulations

Further, the notes about storage imply that the seller is well aware that the contents are going to be consumed.

I missed that $10 a bottle part. My shipped cost from SBD is less than that, though I cannot buy 80 at a time.

It's expensive to ship beer. They have to be individually wrapped put into large boxes with peanuts and they weigh a lot.....not cheap. I'm getting a fat check from my taxes so I figured why not...plus I was still buzzed up from my Pliny the Younger binge. Seemed smart at the time. It's a one time thing. I have close friends/family that want to buy a few bottles just so they can try it. All said and done I'm probably in $200 bucks after selling a few to friends and family....no biggie.

Back