Have you brewed Dead Ringer IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpinon

Reaction score
Hello All,
I bottled my Dead Ringer IPA 2.5 weeks ago. I tried one and mine doesn't taste like an ipa. I can't really taste the hops coming through at all. I followed the directions exactly and used a hop bag both during the brew and during dry hopping. In addition, something about it tasted "off". It just didn't taste good. Neither my wife or I wanted to even finish the bottle I had opened up. I looked up the different off flavors infection can contribute to your beer and the only ones that I felt might be there are buttery and yeasty. I only slightly perceive the buttery flavor, the yeast a little more so. Although, the day before, I had swirled my bottles up a bit to get the yeast off the bottom.

For those of you who have brewed this, is it normal for it not to be recognizable immediately as an IPA? I'm an IPA fan and feel that I would be able to blind taste test any commercial IPA and immediately identify it as one. I'm also concerned I may have an infection, as all the reviews for this beer say it is AMAZING(even this early on), and I have a hard time believing what I've got now is going to improve enough with time to be all that good. At this point I don't even find it drinkable.

If I have an infection, I'd like to find out sooner rather than later, to free up my bottles. Any input based on your own experience with this beer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Many of us have made that recipe before, it should be very good young. Buttery sounds like diacetyl to me. How was your fermentation - i.e. what yeast did you use, how much did you pitch, how did you monitor/control temps? Also what was the rest of your process - extract or all grain, partial or full boil, etc. How is the carbonation? Once it's carbed you don't want to disturb the yeast anymore. Let the cold conditioning drop it out and compact it down, then pour carefully into your glass.

I used the extract kit with S-05 yeast. Partial Boil. I rehydrated and pitched one pack. OG: 1.061 FG: 1.013; Fermentation temp was maintained within the recommended 64-71 degrees but fluctuated semi frequently within that range. Most of the bottles have not fully carbed yet. I'm using PET bottles so I could tell that the one I tried last night was much further along than all the others. When I tried it, rather than let it sit in the fridge for awhile I just put it in the freezer for an hour and then popped it open. Probably not enough time for the yeast to settle back down to the bottom completely?

Back