Have I messed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of white grape juice from Walmart and was going to make a batch, while pouring it into the fermenter, when I was on the next to the last bottle, I looked at the ingredients on the bottle and Potassium Metabisulfate was listed as an ingredient.

Isn't this what is used to stop fermentation?

I had to look it up...
This thread offers the solution. Yes, you can use Hydrogen Peroxide. Adding the correct dosage is a bit tricky. You certainly don't want to add too much, as any remainder of free Oxygen will oxidize your must/juice.

In that thread, this is the first post where the use of Hydrogen Peroxide is advised, to combat a heavy overdose of K-Meta:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/too-much-metabisulfite.144979/post-1653401
So adding a little at a time, then stir/agitate well and maybe let it sit for a while before adding the next little dose. Repeat until you know it's gone.

Any clue how much K-meta is in there?

I had to look it up...
This thread offers the solution. Yes, you can use Hydrogen Peroxide. Adding the correct dosage is a bit tricky. You certainly don't want to add too much, as any remainder of free Oxygen will oxidize your must/juice.

In that thread, this is the first post where the use of Hydrogen Peroxide is advised, to combat a heavy overdose of K-Meta:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/too-much-metabisulfite.144979/post-1653401
So adding a little at a time, then stir/agitate well and maybe let it sit for a while before adding the next little dose. Repeat until you know it's gone.

Any clue how much K-meta is in there?

How will I know it is gone?

I have no idea, whatever the normal dosage would be for store bought juice.

If it's only a little sulphite, just enough to prevent spoilage, it will dissipate over 24-48 hours when left exposed to air. Just stir it well every few hours during that period, leaving a piece of (clean) cloth or a loose lid over the fermenter.

Anything else in there, such as Xylitol or Sorbates? Those will most definitely kill all the joy for the yeast.

None of that,
Ingredients:
Grape Juice from concentrate, (water grape juice concentrate), ascorbic acid (vitamin c), potassium metabisulfate, citric acid.
Since it's listed after ascorbic acid, the sulfite content in the juice may actually be quite low, and won't cause any problems for the yeast:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/sulfites-in-grape-juice-will-it-ferment.427674/https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/removing-sulfites-from-concentrate.37366/
Have you been stirring it a few time already, to help dissipate it?
If you splashed the juice while pouring out, probably enough oxygen got mixed in to oxidize the sulfite to sulfate. Done, that's all it needs!

What yeast are you pitching?

I used a wine whip on a drill several times yesterday and today.
It splashed real good while I was pouring it in.
Per the link in my second post, I added hydrogen peroxide three times yesterday, 40ml then three hours later, 50ml and five hours later 60ml.
This is a six gallon batch, with five of that being the Walmart white grape juice that had the sulfites.

I got a starter going with a bit of juice cocktail that didn't have the sulfites along with some fermaid-o using K1V-1116 yeast.
The starter was pretty active, and I added it a bit ago to the fermenter, hoping for the best, used the wine whip both before and after adding the starter.
I guess, I'll just have to wait it out and see if it get going later today or by the morning.

It was my last packet of K1V-1116, I've got more on the way, but I do have several packets of beer yeast, but I know if the K1V-1116 is active, it is known as a "killer yeast", and would likely kill the beer yeast, wasting it.

Back