Have hops need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_c

Reaction score
I have received 4 oz of each: Amarillo, Simco, and Citra.
They were a gift from my cousin who I was helping move. (Also got two 5gal igloo coolers, one set up as an hlt)
Was wondering how I could use this windfall. He tells me they go well together. I would have gotten a recipe from him, but he keeps just about everything on hard copy and it was packed away.
So I guess what I am asking, in a post that could have been much shorter, is anyone have any ideas for an AG 5.5 gal recipe?

They were a gift from my cousin who I was helping move. (Also got two 5gal igloo coolers, one set up as an hlt)
Was wondering how I could use this windfall. He tells me they go well together. I would have gotten a recipe from him, but he keeps just about everything on hard copy and it was packed away.
So I guess what I am asking, in a post that could have been much shorter, is anyone have any ideas for an AG 5.5 gal recipe?

Honestly a 5.5 extract batch would be fine too lol.

It really depends on what type of beer you like. Those hops are perfect for a hop forward Pale or IPA. And use a simple grain bill. For an IPA, I'd use them all because, why save 2 oz?

1 oz @ 60
maybe 1 oz @ 10
Big hopstand
Big dry hop

It really depends on what type of beer you like. Those hops are perfect for a hop forward Pale or IPA. And use a simple grain bill. For an IPA, I'd use them all because, why save 2 oz?

1 oz @ 60
maybe 1 oz @ 10
Big hopstand
Big dry hop

I do like hop forward IPA's
Thanks

So for starters:
5lb 2row (pilsner?)
5lb pearl
.5 lb flaked out

What other speciality malts? Looking for a nice bright color.

With 12 oz of hops I wouldn't get too crazy with a grain bill. Those are great hops and with a bunch of specialty malts aka crystal and such the hops will be muted. I always use 12 oz of hops in my ipas with nothing but good ole 2 row and either some flaked barely or oats for some added mouthfeel and head retention. If you wanted to switch the base malt up I love half 2 row with half golden promise. If you were going to use a crystal try to keep it at a max of .5 lb. Good luck

With 12 oz of hops I wouldn't get too crazy with a grain bill. Those are great hops and with a bunch of specialty malts aka crystal and such the hops will be muted. I always use 12 oz of hops in my ipas with nothing but good ole 2 row and either some flaked barely or oats for some added mouthfeel and head retention. If you wanted to switch the base malt up I love half 2 row with half golden promise. If you were going to use a crystal try to keep it at a max of .5 lb. Good luck

Thank you.
I am going to play with beersmith later. Shooting for a 5-6% max abv... I want to be able to drink more than one or two. If the weather holds out I am shooting for Sunday to brew.

My grain bill is simple:

86% base (2-row/golden promise)
10% wheat (I like to add a touch of wheat)
4% flaked barely

Back