Hausakliuf Bjòrr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hveem

Reaction score
Hausakliuf Bjòrr (Skullsplitter beer)
RECIPE DETAILS

* By: Håken Hveem

* Final volume: 5 gallons / 20L

* Herbs used:Mugwort, Yarrow,
Sweet gale and Juniper berries.

The reason for using smoked malt, is that malt was dried on big flat stones that was fired with wood ( different wood types causes variation on the taste, juniper wood is used some to smoke herring and meat) to heat the stone. I know that they used juniper branches and juniper berries a lot around here in Norway. Even the fresh shoots on branches of Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) and Norway Spruce (Picea abies) was used to season beer.

INGREDIENTS

Malts / Fermentables

* 3 kg pale malt ( 67%)
* 1 kg amber malt ( 22%)
* 500 grams smoked malt (11%) ( can be cut down if you dont like the smoked flavor )

Extra

* ¾ cups corn sugar for priming
* 1 tbs. irish moss

Herbs

* 1 oz / 28g of Yarrow 60 minutes
* 1 oz / 28g of Mugwort 60 minutes
* 2 g of Sweet gale 10 minutes
* 5 g of juniper berries 10 minutes

Yeast

* Wyeast 1338 European Ale Yeast or
Wyeast 3278 Lambic blend

Any comments on the recipe ?

Sounds like an interesting traditional beer to me. I haven't done much with the traditional gruit spices, but I might back down on them if you go with the lambic blend since it will make for a very dry finished beer. Make sure to post your results.

I'm curious how this one turned out. I tried an ale (can't remember the name) that was bittered/flavored with white pine needles in place of hops. It wasn't as gin-flavored as you might imagine. Really quite good. The pine flavor blended very well with the maltiness.

Back