Has this happened to anyone before.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm250

Reaction score
So right after Christmas I made an IPA. Everything went well and tasted good in the initial brewing process. Fermentation went well, nice and strong and I hit my final gravity right on.

Before I put the beer in the bottles to condition it tasted great. Now everything is done and I am getting random diacetyl in bottles. Not every bottle, so far it has been about a third of the bottles with this off flavor. What could cause some bottles to have this flavor and not others?

The only thing I can think of is that we had a major ice storm two days after I put the bottles up to condition and I lost power for two days. Temps fell to 30 degrees in the house. Could that have messed up the fermentation in the bottle and produced this random off flavor?:confused:

Dropping temperatures like that would not have caused diacetyl. Diacetyl is a by-product of fermentation and would be produced in the fermener. Are you sure it is diacetyl? What yeast did you use?

Pediococcus can throw some diacetyl. Perhaps some localized bottle infections? Also, diacetyl often doesn't become evident until the beer has had a chance to warm up. It might taste fine at bottling, but once they warm up and condition, the diacetyl makes itself present.

I dont know. I had the bottles in the oven at 350 degrees for two hours immediately prior to bottling. That should have taken care of bottle infections I thought. I was wondering if the small amount of fermentation that takes place to carbonate the beer could have been incomplete because of the cold temps and possibly caused diacetyl. I thought that if the entire batch had been infected by something in the fermenter then it would be all the bottles, not just about a third of them.

I had the same thing happen to me with my last brew. I am thinking that it was either the chemical I used to take the labels off the bottles (oxiclean, a.k.a. my wifes theory) or that a portion of my bottles got too warm at some point. My new trick is that I am going to bottle condition in a cooler filled with water and monitor the temperature to maintain a constant temperature during conditioning and see what it does. Try it out and see what your results are. Good Luck!

Warning if you condition in a water bath: don't submerge the caps as they will rust. Not enough to rust away, but will leave a ring around the mouth of the bottle.

Also, dry heat takes a lot longer to sanitize then wet heat or sanitizer. 350* in the oven would prob take the bottles 2-3 hrs to sanitize. Buy some star san.

It would not be the bottle conditioning itself that caused the diacetyl. wonderbread23 had a good point about bacterial populations. Oven sterilizing only works until you open the door. How long have they been in the bottle for?

Latest posts

Back