Has my cider gon bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martynn

Reaction score
20180406_131900.jpg
Hi iv new to browing and iv just finished the fermentashon of a cider kit but its clady and has a funny smell to it. Iv have tryed a little ant it tast bitter. Has it gone bad? Thank you in advans

Last edited:
Hard to know for sure.... Let's take each 'symptom':
  • Cloudy: This is normal and doesn't affect taste. Could use pectin enzyme in the future (or even now) if it bothers you.
  • Bitter Taste: You mentioned that you've just finished fermentation. Unless intervention was taken (which is likely wasn't in a kit for beginners), the result will be a very dry cider (will not be sweet, and described by some as 'bitter'). You could add sugar to each serving before you drink it to see if that improves the taste.
  • Funny Smell: It's a lot more complicated than this, but the long and short of it is that cider can smell while fermenting.... this doesn't necessarily mean it's 'gone bad'...

My advice... sanitize a big spoon and carefully stir it for a few minutes (careful not to splash too much)... wait a few more days (to make sure it's done fermenting... then you can move on in the process.... which will depend on how you plan to bottle... what does the kit say to do next?

Hard to know for sure.... Let's take each 'symptom':
  • Cloudy: This is normal and doesn't affect taste. Could use pectin enzyme in the future (or even now) if it bothers you.
  • Bitter Taste: You mentioned that you've just finished fermentation. Unless intervention was taken (which is likely wasn't in a kit for beginners), the result will be a very dry cider (will not be sweet, and described by some as 'bitter'). You could add sugar to each serving before you drink it to see if that improves the taste.
  • Funny Smell: It's a lot more complicated than this, but the long and short of it is that cider can smell while fermenting.... this doesn't necessarily mean it's 'gone bad'...

My advice... sanitize a big spoon and carefully stir it for a few minutes (careful not to splash too much)... wait a few more days (to make sure it's done fermenting... then you can move on in the process.... which will depend on how you plan to bottle... what does the kit say to do next?
Thank you for the addvice. It is a beginners kit I'm using iv tryed beer ones before and they have come out ok. The kit says after the fermenting process has finished to bottle it or use a pressure keg.

When you're sure its done, taste it and if you're not happy with it, rack the cider into 1 gallon jugs place in a cool area and let it age a while. Try it again after a few months or even 6 months and see if you like it better. Keep some tasting notes with the jugs so you can track how its progressing.

Back