Has anyone used Wyeast 2112 for anything other than a cali common?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudbuddy

Hang on, I had something for this
Reaction score
I'm just curious to see if I can find some other uses for it and see if anyone has had any luck. Cheers!

I've done mixed fermentations with Kolsch yeast for Cream Ales and Bière de Garde. Essentially the White Labs Cream Ale blend. (WLP080) I've used it alone in a dark bock - Anchor Steam does this for a spring release. I've also done it once in a Baltic Porter for a sort of "Cali Porter."

It's a useful yeast, and I think it should get some increased play amongst home brewers that want to brew something besides an Anchor clone. Experiment a little, but I don't know that I'd bother trying to brew Euro lagers with it - people will end up comparing to super clean yeasts and saying that you didn't quite get it right. Beers with a little more flavor work well, I could see maybe an American Amber Ale getting the hybrid treatment, or even a Czech Pils?

Beers with a little more flavor work well, I could see maybe an American Amber Ale getting the hybrid treatment, or even a Czech Pils?

I like the amber idea, that's a good start. Maybe a red ale could be good too

Back