Has anyone used Wyeast 1026 in a Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogman

Reaction score
I'm looking to make an english barleywine sometime this week. I was going to go with either WLP002 English Ale or Wyeast 1968 ESB, but I have read a lot about Wyeast's Cask Ale yeast 1026 and it sounds like a nice malty yeast. Has anyone ever brewed a barleywine with this yeast and how did it turn out.

The beer is planned to be 12 to 13% and I'm planning on making a 4L starter for a 5gal batch.

Any input on this yeast would be greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in this as well. I'm planning on cloning a SA Old Fezziwig (aorund 6-6.5%) and would like to try this yeast. I'm no expert though, but their site says that its tolerance is only 9%, so you may be pushing it trying to get 12-13% out of it.

when I made my barley wine I used WLP002 in the primary. then when it went into its long secondary I pitched a vial of WLP099 High Gravity Yeast. Got good results this way as the flavor profile from 002 was present. 099 doesnt offer much of a flavor profile but it can survive the high alcohol percentages to keep fermentation going for a good high alc content. got mine up to 18.5% A.B.V.

Latest posts

Back