Has anyone used one of these for capping bottles.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old bench capper from a flea market. I can't speak for that particular brand but you'll love that style capper. Way nicer to use than a wing capper.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks very strong, and sturdy, which is a very big plus.

however

it's not easily adjustable to different size bottles. Which can be a bad thing. Both of the ones listed (I have the Ferrari) are easily adjustable (the Ferrari from a large black button on the left, the brewcraft buy a pin in the front) which makes it very easy when changing bottle sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q638P2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D23OOV8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yep, I looked at both of those. Did you notice that they both only had 3.5 star ratings? Hmmm, I guess I'll have to stew over this for a while. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3RMUU4?psc=1

I'm thinking of upgrading from a wing capper and after reading some poor reviews of Super Agata I found this one. Anybody......

Looks like a cheap imitation of the Super Agata. Relies on friction to adjust and hold a certain height. I think you would have to use two hands to keep the height adjustment stable for each bottle.

Looks like a cheap imitation of the Super Agata. Relies on friction to adjust and hold a certain height. I think you would have to use two hands to keep the height adjustment stable for each bottle.

Hey Flars, you're one of the guys that has respect around here. Can I ask you what you recommend? Thanks!

I hated my Agata until I screwed it onto a sturdy board and clamped it to my bench... It might sound obvious, but these really want to be bolted down securely, otherwise it's easier to just use a wing capper.

I hated my Agata until I screwed it onto a sturdy board and clamped it to my bench... It might sound obvious, but these really want to be bolted down securely, otherwise it's easier to just use a wing capper.
Any tool that takes leverage to work needs to be secured to the workbench to work well.

Resize441.jpg

I have a super Agata and I can't imagine a better capper. Hated my wing capper, and this one automatically adjusts to the height of bottle.

I don't know about clamping or screwing to a bench--I just use it as is.

I will say this--the first SA I bought had difficulties--wouldn't center on the bottlecap as it crimped it on the bottle mouth. Turns out it was a badly-centered bell capper, so I exchanged it at my LHBS, and the new one is gold.

One thing I think would help some people is putting just a little skim of keg lube inside the capping bell. Without that it can kind of stick when trying to raise off the capped bottle.

The mechanism looks identical to the domestic bench cappers they sell here in China, and they're definitely sturdy. The friction-based height adjuster seems strange but maybe nice - with a typical capper that has holes every half inch or so for height adjustment, you often end up with larger-than-optimal gaps between bottle and bell that require more torque than necessary to cap, so if the mechanism doesn't slip up or down the rail, it should make capping some bottles a bit easier. The base also looks identical to the Chinese cappers, and I'll warn you that the base of the rail needed to be re-welded on mine after a couple years of use. That's the weak spot of this capper.

Again, I'm assuming that the fact that this looks about 85% identical to my domestic Chinese capper (with the exception that mine uses a punched rail and a spring-loaded peg for height adjustment) means that it's of equivalent quality, which isn't perfect but has served me adequately for three years and counting.

A note on the issue of torque and stability: the relatively wide base of this capper works nicely if you cap on the floor like I do (I have the bucket on a table with a racking rod attached to the spigot, sit in a chair and fill bottles and then cap them and leave them on the floor until it's time to label and put them away) - you can hold it down with a foot on either side of the base, and as a bonus that allows you to hold the bottle steadily in place as you cap which keeps alignment problems to a minimum. That's just one way to use a capper like this, but it works for me as an apartment brewer without a big workspace for bottling.

Long time lurker. I searched a bunch without finding an answer and rather than starting my own thread, I figured it best to jump in on a current capping thread with numerous contributors rather than resuscitating an older thread. Apologies to OP if needed.

I just got done capping over 400 bottles in 2 days w my wing capper. It works. There must be better products though, and today I bought an interesting bench style capper off Craigslist similar to the Super Agata, it's an "antique" Supreme C embossed in the cast iron. There are several of these on ebay currently. It does work, but it seems to me that the style caps used when this capper was in vogue were smaller diameter than modern caps(?). This capper does work, though it dimples the center of the cap, and the cap gets stuck fairly tightly in the bell and needs to be wrestled free.

I'm looking for input here, and for anyone who has used/is familiar with this old school upright cast-iron capper. I am considering machining out the inside of the bell to a larger dimension on a lathe, or just going with it as is, or merely putting it on a shelf as a tchotke in the man cave.

I don't have photos yet, but FWIW, here's one on ebay for likely a limited time, just so you can see what it looks like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/391618502089?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I have discovered that if I put the gasket from a Grolsch style flip top bottle inside the top of the bell, it doesn't dimple the cap center, and it doesn't jam as deeply onto the cap and trap my bottle. But still, if I am going to use this for future volume bottling, I will need to open up the diameter of the bell for modern cap sizes. Generally I'm bottling about 30 gallons at a go.

I'm wondering if someone could spoon feed me a tutorial on modern standard cap sizes used in most popular brands, like Kona and Sam Adams 12 ounce bottles, comparisons with older caps/bottles like 40's-50's era, and if my proposed remedy seems to have much merit.

Cheers, all. :mug:

Back