Has anyone tried this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubicus360

Reaction score
So, what I am thinking about doing is opening the rest of a batch of under carbonated beer, putting it into a keg to force carb. Does anyone have any experience with this, and or knowledge? A little back story, I brewed a "barrel aged" molasses imperial Russian stout that is fantastic as is for flavor. However the carbonation is next to nothing. I carbonated with dextrose to style, but I imagine that after 3 weeks of primary and an extended secondary with bourbon soaked oak chips that there was not enough viable yeast to eat up the priming sugar. I tried this recipe again using a balcones barrel with the same result. The first version is nearing 2 years of age in the bottle, the second nearing 1 year. I had one the other day and it is still delicious, I'm just looking for a bit more of that rich creamy head. So what do y'all think? Should I just let those bottles be, or try and force carb to get something else out of the beer. I also have the same issue with another barrel aged beer, an imperial brown porter made with peanut butter, and aged in the barrel with cacao nibs.

The problem is getting it back into a keg without introducing 02. If you are drinking them immediately, you won't notice. If it sits in a keg for any length of time, oxidation will rapidly take over.

An easier fix might be to mix up some sugar+water and add a little dry yeast.

They also make carbonation caps. You could carb them up right before you drink it.

The O2 was my main concern with the kegging. I do like the carb caps idea. With your other idea of some water, sugar and yeast. How would that work? Just make up a mixture and open the bottles adding a bit of the mixture to each? Thanks again for the advice.

Yep - a bit of fresh yeast and sugar to carb. The downside is that you are guessing about how carbed it is now vs how much sugar is left.

im a complete noob, but I bought some carb caps, thinking I'll do some bottles when I go boating. See they fit on those bottles and replace cap, carb minutes before you drink. you might just need one. I got decent price,can post info if you want

just thinking you prob have regular bottles, the caps take PET, but a quick bottle transfer and you'd have it carbed in minutes.

Personally I would mix up a very small solution of yeast, water, and sugar, and reprime them. Dont do anything crazy, and use a syringe so you can get a good measurement. Open them gently, recap gently, and be sure to use O2 scrubbing caps. Maybe store them in a box just in case :)

I wouldnt risk O2 exposure on something you have that much work in.

you've got this much aging time in, why mess with something that you say tastes good. Next batch add a bit more priming sugar.
I can't imagine screwing with a beer I've aged for 2 years.

FWIW I've bottled beers that were in secondary close to a year without adding yeast and they carb'd fine

Latest posts

Back