Has anyone tried this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylito87

Reaction score
I love Founders Dirty Bastard! It is one of my top 5 favorite beers. I found the following recipe floating around on the site and I wanted to know if anyone had tried it. I am curious what your opinions and tips would be for brewing it. I can get my fermentation temp down to about 71 in my closet I have been monitoring my closet. I am planing on ordering a few more "accessories" to "enrich my brewing experience so I figured might as well get some ingredients. I was going to get 5 lbs of each of the grains but I don't think I could use them before they went bad and freezer space is non existant. Another quick question do you guys find it cheaper to build a Partial Extract recipe from scratch or do the kits from midwest? The grains, hops , yeast come up to about $17 but the back breaker is the LME that $#!+ aint cheap. But the way I rationalize to SWMBO is that Dirty Bastard is a $10 6 pack for about the price of 3 6PKS I can make 2 cases. Now judging by recipe I don't think it is going to hit the 8 % ABV but that is fine. I love the taste and I know this style is typically high in alcohol but I would like to make a beer that is close to Dirty bastard but one that I can drink as more of a session beer which believe me I have tried to session Dirty Bastard before :tank: Here is the recipe:

Founder’s Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale Clone by Wes

Extract + Grains method
5 gallons
60 min boil

Steeping Grains:

1 lb Dingmans Special B
8 oz Dingmans Cara-Munich
8 oz Dingmans Cara-Vienna
8 oz Dingmans Cara-Pils
2 oz Briess Black Patent

Wort Processing:

9.5 lbs Munton’s Light Malt Syrup

(60) 1 oz Kent Goldings (4 AAU), ½ oz Perle (9 AAU)
(40) ½ oz Perle
(20) ½ oz Kent Goldings, teaspoon Irish Moss

Wyeast 1056 American Ale (liquid) or,
Whitelabs 001 California Ale (liquid) or,
Safale American Ale (dry)

Fermentation

Temperature: 67 - 70 F

Also as an update I still haven't actually did my first batch. Brew day was supposed to be two weeks ago and it got pushed to this weekend. Then I remembered valentines day weekend which I don't think SWMBO would appreciate me brewing this weekend. I have it chisled in stone next weekend will be it. I have to get the beer in the primary and have time to give it two full weeks atleast before putting it in the secondary before I go to Myrtle for vacation.

Sorry so much for rambling I am just getting excited to finally put my equipment to use . Any input would greatly appreciated from this virgin brewer . :mug: Cheers Guys

Remember that your water quality will make the biggest difference when trying to clone. Lots of kinds of waters can make lots of good beers, but cloning is very difficult to do successfully. I think (personally) you have to start with your largest ingredient -- water -- and go from there.

Other than that, it looks like a pretty good beer! :D

I would think this recipe would need some peated malt. I am probably going to do this after a custom stout that I promised my SWMBO I would make a beer with a similar flavor to Night Tripper.

Back