Has anyone gotten their rhizomes from thymegarden yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdanprice

Reaction score
I preordered back in January, and I see several posts from people saying they've recieved thier rhizomes. I'm still waiting, has anyone recieved their order from thymegarden?

EDIT: Rhizomes Received!
Order Placed: 1/22/09
Recieved: 3/18/09

I ordered in February but my order still says "In-Progress." So hopefully soon. I guess that gives me enough time to get a trellis up :cross:

Damn, it is still snowing here! I can't believe they are shipping rhizomes already. I don't think I received mine until April last year.

I ordered my rhizomes back in November and I just checked the status of my order number on the thyme garden website it say's....

Shipment Shipping Method
A Standard Delivery

...not sure what it means, but I imagine they are on there way...trip to the east coast may take a while.

Edit: I called them up. They are out of Saaz for the rest of the season (which I had ordered way back in November) so they shipped me everything except that....they said they recommend Sterling as a substitute....or you can pick a different variety...or get a refund.

I ordered on 1/15/09 and my status is still Pre-Authorized like it has been since I ordered.

I hope to get them soon as the ground in ready for them.

Oh wow, it looks like I have work to do over spring break. The search for biiig planters is on.

Oh wow, it looks like I have work to do over spring break. The search for biiig planters is on.

A little :off:

I found some 25 gallon plastic planters at my local nursery. They weren't for sale because they use them for bushes and trees and stuff but when I nicely asked if I could buy a couple they sold them for $3 a piece! There were bigger ones (45 gallon) but he said they couldnt get rid of those. They have excellent drainage with holes in the bottom and holes in the sides around the bottom. I figured if the nursery uses them they must be pretty good.

So, go check the local nursery, maybe you'll find something cheap!

:mug:

I ordered my rhizomes back in November and I just checked the status of my order number on the thyme garden website it say's....

Shipment Shipping Method
A Standard Delivery

...not sure what it means, but I imagine they are on there way...trip to the east coast may take a while.

Edit: I called them up. They are out of Saaz for the rest of the season (which I had ordered way back in November) so they shipped me everything except that....they said they recommend Sterling as a substitute....or you can pick a different variety...or get a refund.

Update: I received mine last night. They came in envelope? Never planted hops before...but I thought they'd be bigger.

A little :off:

I found some 25 gallon plastic planters at my local nursery. They weren't for sale because they use them for bushes and trees and stuff but when I nicely asked if I could buy a couple they sold them for $3 a piece! There were bigger ones (45 gallon) but he said they couldnt get rid of those. They have excellent drainage with holes in the bottom and holes in the sides around the bottom. I figured if the nursery uses them they must be pretty good.

So, go check the local nursery, maybe you'll find something cheap!

:mug:

Thanks I'll go check them out. I've seen some large ones at HD but they were over $50 a piece.

I ordered mine Jan 5 and just got them yesterday

So now what? how do I plant them? How deep? at what position?

I ordered mine Jan 5 and just got them yesterday

So now what? how do I plant them? How deep? at what position?

I'm also a noob but from what I've been reading you make a little trench in the dirt and bury them horizontally about 2-3 inches. Make sure the shoots are pointing up.

The roots and shoots may look similar to some. You may have both coming out of the same side of the rhizome. The shoots are generally bigger and are somewhat striated. The roots (if your rhizome has any) are stringy and even if they come out near the shoots they'll make a turn in the opposite direction.

I just got a call today telling me they are already out of SAAZ so they will be substituting STERLING.

-OCD

Mine arrived yesterday. 1 Cascade and 1 Chinook.... now to figure out when it's safe to plant in south eastern Wisconsin....

I got mine yesterday. Miserable cold rainy here and potting is not fun.

IMG_3333.jpg

I got mine today I'll get some pics up later. 2 Cascade, 2 Chinook, 2 Magnum. I may order one more variety because idk what I'm gonna do with chinook and magnum, their alpha content would be hard to determine and I'm not sure what their flavor and aroma capabilities are.

Was starting to wonder where mine were yesterday and then I got home and they were right on the table. Time to go get some soil to plant them.

To the folks that have received them, did their website update with your order status before you got them?

My order status still says "in-progress" and I received them today.

One each of Cascade, Centennial, Nugget, and Willamette. Rhizomes look good, smell fresh (earthy), and have already sent shoots upwards. And not just little ones. These were photographed on a sheet of 8.5x11! I am going to put them into some peat pots before they go outside, I want to watch them for awhile. The Centennial is spotted with mold, and per another post, a very mild bleach solution will clean that right up.

hops2.jpg

hops1.jpg

got mine, first rhizomes, but I think they look great... Need to find some webspace to post the pics on.

I got my nugget and willamette on tuesday, got them in the ground last night. My friend got his cascade and fuggle last week. last year I ordered centennial and mt. hood both did great for 1st year.

Here is a pic of my rhizomes, right before they went into a planter box for storage until spring hits in upstate NY..

The magnum and sterling rhizome in particular I thought were hearty...

3373567566_8c7b0ef11a.jpg

As promised here are some pictures of the Rhizomes I received from thymegarden.
3377727938_50c51d2155.jpg

3377729308_c449d057be.jpg

3376915083_92c329b2f7.jpg

And here is one of the Magnums popping up
3377733260_d814f7e0b8.jpg

I just got mine, at least I think so, I have been out of town since Thursday, so sometime between then and now. Ordered Cascade, Willamette, Mt. Hood and Nugget. They look just like the pics posted before (wife has the digi cam) like fresh cut roots. Can't wait to get them in the ground!

so has anyone had sprouts from planting these in the last couple of weeks?

We are in the 70s for a high here now and soon to be 80s and lots of sun. I hope to see some sprouts soon. I also have to build the trellis' this weekend too so they have something to climb.

I just planted mine last night, I doubt I will see anything for at least a week or so, but I will be checking daily! :fro:

Mine have been in the dirt for a little over a week and I have sprouts in all 4 pots. The nugget has several open leaves already.

Back