Has anyone brewed with HBC-438 Hop yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boochuckles

Reaction score
I just ordered some different hops from Midwest and I came across the HBC-438. Midwest describes it as such:

"Brew an ale for ALS. The first hop ever released exclusively for homebrewers, HBC 438 is an experimental variety of neomexicanus that is openly pollinated and native to North America. Expect prominent tropical and stone fruits, herbal, spicy, a subtle cedar note in the aroma alongside a dose of good will—all proceeds go directly to finding a cure for ALS.

Use your brewing prowess to make the world a better place, discovering unique yet-unknown flavors along the way. Share the experience with the homebrewing community, join in brewing for a good cause and be one of the first brewers in the world to test out this novel new variety!"

I want to brew this as a SMaSH so I can get an idea of the hop. I was thinking of just 2-row but would be open to anything. I'd also like a very mild yeast to not pull flavors away from the hops. I haven't experimented much with different types of yeast to IDK what would be good for this. Most of the time I go for US-05 and that has a unique taste that I don't want for this.

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have them in the fridge now for that same kit. I was planning on brewing it tomorrow, but I have two vials of yeast with older dates that I needed to get used up.

I should be brewing that kit up maybe next week. I'll get the starter going Saturday after I free up my flasks. Despite brewing for a few years, I'm still pretty green when it comes to giving feedback on hops, but I'll do my best later when I can.

Ken

Luckiest Man Pale Ale.

My bad, I didn't read the whole post before I replied. Tired from working all night.

I seen part of the money went to support ALS so I said wth and purchased it. I don't even drink beers that hopped up, but I figure some of my friends will like it.

Have you opened your pack of hops yet? I decided to go ahead and push on for the 3rd batch yesterday.

I have no idea how this beer is going to taste, but if it's remotely close to what it smells like, then its going to be great. My whole garage was smelling great afterward.

Good luck with your brew.

No, I'm mashing right now... Just going with a simple Marris Otter (12#) and US-05 SMaSH. 1oz at 60, 1/5 oz @15 & 1/5oz @ FO. I did this with Amarillo last month and it was great, so we'll see how HBC-438 turns out

I brewed NBs Luckiest Man Pale Ale kit that showcases this hop. I have to say it was very nice. I don't have my notes right in front of me but I would use it again.

Back