Has anyone brewed with Chinook, EKG and Challanger hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has brewed 100% maris otter with Chinook bittering, challenger aroma and flavour hops and EKG dry-hopping?

I am wondering if experienced homebrewers would recommend this hop combination in my future brew?

Thanks.

Never have but I would say that it looks like it could be a good beer (esb-like). Challenger I like a little deeper in the boil (20-15 minutes) rather towards the end. EKG for dry hopping would be nice but some in late boil would be nice also. I say "Go for it!!" and let us all know how it turns out.

Never have but I would say that it looks like it could be a good beer (esb-like). Challenger I like a little deeper in the boil (20-15 minutes) rather towards the end. EKG for dry hopping would be nice but some in late boil would be nice also. I say "Go for it!!" and let us all know how it turns out.

I will. Thanks for the reply.

My idea is the same....Chinook for bittering (60 and 20 mins) and then Challanger at 5 min and at flame-off. Then EKG would be used only for dry-hopping.

Some of my favorite hops combined with a terrific base malt. You cannot go wrong with this combination. I like to mash the Maris in the low 150s as enough malt sweetness comes through by itself without having to rely on longer chain dextrins to fill it out. Challenger and Chinook are typically used as bittering hops but as the last poster said, doing the reverse is very viable. I love me some EKG. Love the aromatic components. Definitely an end-of-the-boil kind of hop for me. For the chinook and challenger, I'd do some of each in the boil and flavor additions. Chinook has something to offer for hop flavor while Challenger has always been a great hop for bittering English beers.

English pale / IPA / bitter / whatever STAT!

Latest posts

Back