Harvesting Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate opening fermentation vessels once they are closed for fear of infections.

What about just pouring a small amount (say 10%) of the rehydrated 05 yeast into a smaller starter and just building it up and storing in the fridge as rinsed yeast? The rest can go straight into the brew as normal.

Its not dry yeast after you pitch it. After 3 generations, S04, provided you aren't contaminated at all, it becomes quite the formidable yeast. I prefer that of the yeast choices if I am using a dry yeast.

Any idea why the yeast becomes "better"?

el caro:

If you do not want to open the fermenter to harvest off the top then go ahead and make the starter from the US-05. Unless you have a fermenter with a dump valve, you have really narrowed your options.

Just don't tell anyone on this or any other homebrew forum that you are making a starter from dry yeast - call it an "unhopped yeast inoculated wort".

For me the issue is really different, i mean "harvesting the dry yeast". I live in a country that I cannot buy yeast (because is illegall!!!!! Can u believe it?).
So every time I go to a trip to another country, I bring some yeast, and obviously I should be careful when I arrive here. I mean just some sachet of dry yeast is possible to bring in my pockets. So, always I have to harvest my yeasts. It's not a matter of money, it's just the only way for me to pursue my happiness ;-)
Anyway, I have some strains from 2 years ago, some of them are like 6-7th generation, and it's ok. It's just a matter of sanitation and storing. Usually i keep them at 1-3 c.
But I'm wondering if it's possible to freeze the slurry?

Back