harvesting 3787 peanut butter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nisk916

Reaction score
I have a batch of Patersbier in my primary now, and wanted to harvest the 3787 yeast from it. Problem is that the krausen never really foamed up, but has maintained a peanut-butter like consistancy since fermentation started. I assume fermentation is close to ending (from 1.052 to 1.010 now) and am curious if I can use this pb slurry, for another batch in a couple days, or am I better off buying more yeast? This is my first attempt at harvesting, and it just doesnt seem right. Thanks! Kippis!

I've harvested 3787 before. I have that same brew/yeast in primary right now and plan on fermenting a 1.081 tripel on top of the yeast cake. I'll probably remove 2/3 to 3/4 of the yeast cake first and harvest that yeast for a Dubbel later on this winter. If I left it all in I'd have way too much yeast for the tripel.

You will be taking the yeast off the bottom, not the top so I think you'll be fine. Just make sure it's been in primary for 2-3 weeks first. There's an excellent yeast washing sticky at the top of this forum that works really well.

If youre top-cropping and it has finished fermenting, go ahead and skim it off. I prefer to harvest from the yeast cake though.

Well, I did skim off the peanut butter, and threw it in the fridge after topping off with some sterile water. I took it back out this morning to let it warm back up.
Once I finished brewing today's batch, I pitched the jar of PB, and fermentation started in 1.5 hours. Worked out great. I think I may brew again in a week using the yeast again.

Back