Harvested US-05 - To Pitch in a Pale Ale after Harvested from a Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekp83

Reaction score
So I have a Honcho Grande Brown Ale clone that is ready to bottle and was fermented with harvested US-05 that came from a hoppy amber ale. I plan to harvest the yeast from the brown ale, and at the same time, I'm thirsty for a pale ale. I'm aware of the guideline that says progress from light to dark, balanced to hoppy when pitching harvested yeast. However, what are your thoughts? Worth a shot?

I don't see why not, the general practice I'm aware of is to go from lower gravity to higher. I've gone from darker to lighter with no problems, ( i don't think yeast can see, so doubt it matters)..{;

Do you plan to enter your beer into a competition where the slight difference in color would matter? If not, don't worry about it. I make a "pale ale" that has some C120 in it. It's darker than the guidelines would allow but I like the flavor.

Back