Harvest London ale 1318?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobM

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully harvested this London Ale III 1318? I pulled two smack packs worth during harvest and it seems it's not very much yeast, is it because it stays in suspension much better?

Top crop it if you can... you’ve got to soft crash it for a few days in order for it to flocc and get a good harvest from the bottom of you have a conical. Not sure what temp works best. I’ve been going with 58 for a couple days before trying to harvest and Dry Hop.

Harvesting it after a fermentation hasn't been a problem for me. I don't think it stays in suspension any longer than any other yeast. I pulled a full quart jar's worth off the bottom of a 15 gallon batch, that's after rinsing the yeast and getting all the trub out. I just pitched that on 60 gallons of fresh wort and it was more than enough for a vigorous fermentation within 24 hours.

I have harvested from slurry after fermentation with good results. But lately I have been overbuilding my starters and pouring a pint off the top. Its a lot easier.

Works just fine. It's basically become my house yeast I use it in everything from stouts (just pitched a 4.5ltr starter into a 1.110 RIS Sunday) to NEIPA's and pale ales. Usually run it for 5 to 7 generations and find it hits its stride around generation 3.

Latest posts

Back