Harvest from Stone Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
Has anyons had any success culturing yeast from any of these Stone beers ??

StoneBrewing.jpg

Thanks for the link - very helpful

Yes it is a great resource. I have just started harvesting yeast and the list is great.

Doing a Bell's yeast harvest brew on Saturday.

Next up is trying to harvest Pranqster yeast. It is not on the list but I am going to try....

I understand that Stone beers are almost entirely WLP007 and WLP002- not sure if it's worth the trouble of harvesting. Though, you do already have a bunch of bombers.

I read a story on the Stone Blog that their yeast originate from a Canadian microbrewery in Oregon that shut down. They go on to explain how a person tried to take a bunch of yeast on a plane, but the yeast was over the weight limit. The person had to go to the bathroom and pour off some of it. As they tried to pour it off it created a giant mess in a bathroom stall because the yeast exploded everywhere:

http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/all-about-our-yeast-part-one/#more-3484

On the Stone website Vertical Epic is specifically mentioned as bottle-conditioned. Vertical Epic is designed to age most beers that are designed to age have a good healthy quantity of yeast.

I also wrote an email to Stone and they responded and stated that I should try to harvest yeast from Stone Double Bastard as that beer is bottle conditioned. Which makes sense considering that Double Bastard is released as a vintage occasionally. For example this year they are releasing some 2011s along with the 2012 that they recently brewed. Thus these Double Bastards are designed to age.

I know this thread is rather old, but I thought I would respond to it just in case others come across this old thread.

I also wrote an email to Stone and they responded and stated that I should try to harvest yeast from Stone Double Bastard as that beer is bottle conditioned. Which makes sense considering that Double Bastard is released as a vintage occasionally. For example this year they are releasing some 2011s along with the 2012 that they recently brewed. Thus these Double Bastards are designed to age.

I know this thread is rather old, but I thought I would respond to it just in case others come across this old thread.

I wonder if they is true of Lucky Bastard ?

I have a bottle of Double Bastard in my refrigerator right now. When I first got the email from Stone I went to BevMo to find a bottle of Double Bastard. After looking at the bottles it seemed like there wasn't any yeast sediment at the bottom of any of the Double Bastard bottles, so I decided not to buy any.

About 3 weeks later I went to a liquor store and they had Double Bastard in their refrigerator. After reading the bottle it stated that it was designed to be aged and the bottle was labeled 2012 Double Bastard. Typically beers that are designed to be age are bottle conditioned and it makes sense for the beer to state their vintage if it were designed to be aged, so I decided to buy it.

As I was walking to the counter to purchase the Double Bastard I looked at the bottom of the Bottle and notice thick chunks of yeast caked on the bottle of the bottle and floating around near the bottom. Since the 2012 Double Bastards were new and they were stored warm at BevMo perhaps the yeast had not floculated yet. The bottle that I saw at the liquor store may have been sitting there in the refrigerator for over a month so that may have caused the yeast to drop out of suspension.

I have not tried to culture the yeast yet, but I expect to have good results when I do try to culture it. So far I have Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen yeast, Hoegarden Beligan White yeast, Sierra Nevada Pale Yeast, and Saison yeast that I cultured from 1-Door Saison. In my refrigerator I have the Bottle of Double Bastard and a six pack of Rogue Mocha Porter. I plan on culturing those bottles sometime soon.

I read a story on the Stone Blog that their yeast originate from a Canadian microbrewery in Oregon that shut down. They go on to explain how a person tried to take a bunch of yeast on a plane, but the yeast was over the weight limit...]

I enjoyed reading this tale in the Stone book I bought from the brewery several years ago and see the subject creep up now and again and people often discuss various Oregon craft breweries of the era. However, the story in the book actually says they sourced their yeast from a brewery in the northwest and that he flew down from Oregon...there is not specificity that it came out of an Oregon craft brewery, only that the yeast bearer flew down from Oregon. It could have likely been a Washington state brewery, for all we know. I was stationed at Fort Lewis back in the mid-1990s and I remember a small brewery being located off I-5 on the way down to Portland back then, but can't remember the name. I had wanted to stop one day but just didn't have the time.

Back