Harsh flavor after dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cokerwk

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster.

I made a black rye IPA that was remarkable before dry hopping. I then dry hopped with 1 oz of Citra and 1 oz of Amarillo in a weighted bag for three days. I then removed the hop bag and added a new bag containing another 1 oz of Citra and 1 oz of Amarillo for another three days. I then removed the hop bag and crash cooled at 35 degrees for four days.

Now that the beer is carbed and on tap, the beer has a harsh aftertaste. I almost believe it feels like a fine hop dust in suspension, but that may be my imagination. I'm left with a bitter taste long after finishing the beer.

The beer before that was dry hopped without Citra and it was great, but before that I made another IPA that was dry hopped with Citra. I had the same problem with that beer, only more harsh. It never cleared up and I had to dump it since it was completely undrinkable. Dumping beer is a sin.

I seem to think the two ounces of Citra is my black rye IPA is the problem. Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/occasion14.gif

Dry hopping will contribute to the aroma, it shouldn't contribute anything to the bitterness, and it shouldn't contribute much, if anything, to flavor. I always just drop the hop pellets in and let them go for 7-10 days before I bottle and have always gotten the desired results. I've never removed hops after 3 days, then added new hops for another 3 days. Maybe you introduced something that contaminated the batch?

Are you using whole hops or pellets? Try using pellets and just tossing them in, rather than using a bag. Let them go for the last 7-10 days then bottle.

Do you have your recipe? I use Citra in almost all of my batches. Right now we have 4 ounces of Citra dry hopping...huge hop head. I wouldn't think 2 ounces would leave any sort of harsh taste. How long did you let it carbonate after taking the dry hops out?

I often find my higher hopped and dry hopped beers need about 2 weeks in the keg before they really shine. Once everything drops out, it should be good.
Another note is that rye can sometimes give out more of a peppery type flavor and you might be getting some of that as well.

this is sort of paradoxical, but you might try increasing the hops and then fining with gelatin to drop them out

I often find my higher hopped and dry hopped beers need about 2 weeks in the keg before they really shine.

I've found this to be true with bottles as well. I know they say that super hoppy beers are best young, as they lose their hop flavor and aroma over time, but a super hoppy homebrew needs a week or 2 in the bottles to even out.

If your comment is on your 1st pull then don't worry. My 1st and 2nd pint are usually not anywhere near what the beer will be. Yeast drop out hop dust. Your fourth or fifth beer should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are you dry hopping in primary or secondary? If the latter, you might want put in the appropriate amount of fining agent in before racking to secondary. Also do it again in your secondary before you keg.

Back