Hard seltzer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Stiteler

Reaction score
So looking to try a hard seltzer brew this weekend. However forgot I dont have a yeast nutrient anyone know of a substitute that can be used?

i'd be curious if @RPh_Guy could enlighten both of us....i usually use wheat germ for my sugar washes.....what exactly are the vitamin, and amino acid requirements of yeast?

You can boil bread yeast in a bit of water.

Theoretically that should be ok as a substitute, but I'm not sure how well it would work for a pure sugar fermentation. Personally I would wait until you get some good nutrients like Fermaid O. :)

So looking to try a hard seltzer brew this weekend. However forgot I dont have a yeast nutrient anyone know of a substitute that can be used?

Take a look at the TOSNA method of staggered nutrient additions. I'm trying to get my own seltzer to ferment using corn sugar and S05 and it's not going so well. I found this site after I already started but just picked up some Fermaid K.

I think this will kill the yeast.
Indeed it will. The dead/lysed bread yeast cells serve as nutrient for the pitched yeast.

Take a look at the TOSNA method of staggered nutrient additions. I'm trying to get my own seltzer to ferment using corn sugar and S05 and it's not going so well. I found this site after I already started but just picked up some Fermaid K.
For TOSNA, Fermaid O is ideal (with Go-Ferm).
The "O" stands for organic, and Fermaid K is not.

Indeed it will. The dead/lysed bread yeast cells serve as nutrient for the pitched yeast.

For TOSNA, Fermaid O is ideal (with Go-Ferm).
The "O" stands for organic, and Fermaid K is not.

I'm definitely no expert in this area but since I was already a couple weeks into fermentation I decided to go with the K. O is described as best to add at the beginning of fermentation and again when 1/4 to a 1/3 of the sugars have been depleted and I was already past that point. In the future I plan to begin with O.

i've read that on the homedistiller site, but always liked wheat germ tea for the job.....(better flavor)
I can't find any accounts of wheat germ being used in a fermentation like this where all the nutrient needs to be added.

I can't find any accounts of wheat germ being used in a fermentation like this where all the nutrient needs to be added.

maybe not like this, but i've fermented lots of sugar washes with just wheat germ tea...works great...tastes good too, for certain things......

Back