Hard Root Beer (Sugar) not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillshinen

Reaction score
I am making a hard root beer recipe out of BYO magazine and it isn't fermenting as fast as expected. Basically 4lbs of sugar in 4.5 gallons of water with a OG of 1.075 and aiming for a FG of 0.955. I didn't notice (smell of co2 in fermentation chamber) active fermentation after two days yeast added so I added another package of Champagne yeast. Now at 10 days after first packet added the SG is 1.055. I was expecting it go come down faster.

Fermenter chest temp is 68F or 20C.
Yeast is stored in the frig and not expired.

Try to swirl the bucket/carboy to mix things up and see what happens?
Anything else added besides sugar,water and yeast?

Mad scientist, after about 30 seconds do stirring with a spoon if foams up. So I know it is fermenting. How long should it take to reach the target SG?

I was thinking the same thing. I have been stiring it now every day and it looks like it is picking up.

Ingredients
4 lbs. (1.8 kg) pure cane sugar
1 tablespoon (15 mL) molasses
½ tsp. yeast nutrient
Root beer extract (quantities vary based on extract)
2-4 tsp. baking soda (added to taste)
Clean fermenting ale yeast (Champagne works well also)
2 lbs. (0.91 kg) sugar to backsweeten (added to cold keg)

A week ago i rehydrated a third pack of Champagne yeast and added it. It has moved about 4-5 points. this is getting ridiculous .

I agree about the ridiculousness. Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer? If its a hydrometer what does it read in plain water?
Can't think of anything else.

The nutrient helped but it is still at 1.026. I am going to cold crash and rack to a keg. It will sweet but that will just mean less sugar to back sweeten with.

The nutrients helped and my hydrometer read 0.00 in water. It is down to 1.022 am am losing patience so i will be cold crashing this weekend.

Back