Hard Root Beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the fastest this has carbed for anyone? My plastic bottle is getting firm after 12 hours...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Should have pasteurized then. Was bottle bomb central after 30 hours. Lost all but five bottles of three gallons to bombs and gushers...

I was going to respond with "high-sugar beers you're going to pasteurize should carbonate much faster than normal primed bottles", but I didn't because I haven't actually done this myself and didn't want to talk out of my ass. But... well, I guess that's the case, as suspected.

Tried one yesterday afternoon 12 hours after bottling and it had a bit of carb... Should have pasteurized last night...

Just brewed 12.5 gallons Saturday can't wait till time to enjoy, check out my og and I'm really digging the color this time around.
Recipe this batch:
14lbs 2row
.75lbs Carmel/ crystal 80
8lbs brown sugar light by accident
1.5lbs lactose
8ozs maltidextrine
Using 001 with a starter blow off tubes are on a ready for the battle

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394415440.726948.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394415478.193940.jpg

Maybe I've messed this up somehow, but at the moment this is not something drinkable. I scaled the recipe up to 5 gallons, added 4 cups sugar, 24oz honey, and 5x the rootbeer/vanilla flavoring. Its harsh, then sticky-sweet, then sour. Root beer nose but nothing resembles the taste.

It didn't seem infected, hydrometer readings seemed normal. Left in primary for about a month at 65F.

Any ideas?

I'm a moron and I pulled this off save for the bottles I lost to bombs. It tasted fabulous...

Dropped to 1.012 sitting at 10% when transfered the one out of the bottling bucket I was using as a fermenter lol, tasted so good I made a mix of cherry coke with the hydro sample
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395693679.111089.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395693734.316672.jpg

She dropped and is steady at 1.010 bottling 12gals tomorrow
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396047045.673854.jpg

New bottles I de-labeled and cleaned got three other cases ready to go all they need is sanitized
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396047105.811957.jpg

And made this so I get the most out of my bottling bucket
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396047352.699624.jpg

1) wouldn't a dark malt be a better choice?

2) I found this degraded in taste as the weeks went by. It lost a lot of the obvious root beer taste and became almost a weak cream sodaish flavour...

Well having a problem with carbonation think I'm going to trickle alil champagne yeast and recap and see what comes from that still taste amazing flat almost root beer wine like lol, can let hb go to waste right

Has anyone let this stay in bottles more than a few weeks? Curious to know about flavours...

The only issue I had kegging it was towards the end of the keg it was pouring lighter and lighter in color. I believe the rootbeer extract was settling out. I'm hoping now that I have additional regulators I can carb it to the proper volume for soda and hope that keeps it more mixed together.

Sent from somewhere to someone

I keep a keg of root beer on tap for the kids. I've never had a "thinning" problem like that. What extract did you use? And did the taste change or was it just color loss?

I keep a keg of root beer on tap for the kids. I've never had a "thinning" problem like that. What extract did you use? And did the taste change or was it just color loss?

It was McCormick brand rootbeer extract. And yes the taste changed also. Each pour has less and less rootbeer flavor. The first few pours come out black as night then it get paler and paler in color. Towards the end of the keg you wouldn't even know it was supposed to be rootbeer. Has happened with both batches that I have made and kegged.

I'd say kegging is preferable since you can just bulk pasteurize it and sweeten to taste. Might taint your seals with root beer smell if you do it all the time.

As for extract settling, anyone try shaking the keg, as you might a hefe?

I'd say kegging is preferable since you can just bulk pasteurize it and sweeten to taste. Might taint your seals with root beer smell if you do it all the time.

As for extract settling, anyone try shaking the keg, as you might a hefe?

Yeah I tried that for the first keg. Made for foamy pours shaking before serving. Also made for cloudy pours once it stopped foaming. Then I got tired if stirring the keg and just drank it as it came.

The only issue I had kegging it was towards the end of the keg it was pouring lighter and lighter in color. I believe the rootbeer extract was settling out. I'm hoping now that I have additional regulators I can carb it to the proper volume for soda and hope that keeps it more mixed together.

So your idea to let it sit longer for the particles to drop before adding extract was a no go?

I don't have the ability to shake my keg before serving but I want to make this. I just would like a consistent pour. If I wanted to give some away, can I fill growlers from my keg like beer and not worry about bombs if the temperature rises in the growlers a bit (say if I have a car ride to take before sharing growlers)?

I'm still setting up my kegging stuff so I'm no expert, but I don't think I'd ever keg something with active yeast and fermentables. It's basically asking for carbonation problems if not disasters like the one you just described. Bring it to 170 and the yeast will be dead, virtually all of the alcohol retained. Rack from stove to keg, chill.

From the above I'd also avoid McCormick extract--has anyone else seen this separation from other brands? Maybe that's the issue.

Wait, can you go back and explain this? Are you saying once fully fermented, backsweeten and heat to 170 then keg from the pot? Because I believe the addition of fermentables is entirely necessary, but not sure about heating to 170. Wouldn't that cook off the alochol?

Not appreciably--heat quickly and cool quickly. You can do it at 160, too, if you go a little longer, but 170 is good and safe. Google up a food pasteurization temp/time chart for an idea. I have one I usually post but I'm on mobile.

Alcohol solutions don't share the boiling point of alcohol, long story short (lots of people confused about that).

Your alternatives are artificial sweeteners and superfine filtration, basically.

You can also heat covered, which will retain any alcohol that steams off.

Though I will say that yeast kept at 32f for a week will take some time to go active again and will not explode a growler in the matter of a few hours, so for kegging I call pasteurization optimal, but optional.

If you are going to keg and force carb, see any issue with taking out the yeast with Camden, etc., then kegging, carbing? Could even prime, keg, then add camden when the carbonation reaches desired levels.

I use zaterains rootbeer extract. Over 15 gallons now and no problems settling. Its a little minty but my kids like it.

Any suggestions for a beer recipe that finishes out around 5-6% abv, but has very little taste? Maybe I could do a regular beer, with no hops, and finish out at 6%, then use it in place of water with my regular rootbeer recipe....

Campden and even potassium sorbate inhibit bacteria and yeasts, they don't kill or even very reliably halt the activity of your carbonating yeast. There's a good chance it will keep going. Bulk pasteurizing is even easier than bottle pasteurizing and it actually works, so I don't see why you wouldn't do that if you're kegging.

So your idea to let it sit longer for the particles to drop before adding extract was a no go?

I don't have the ability to shake my keg before serving but I want to make this. I just would like a consistent pour. If I wanted to give some away, can I fill growlers from my keg like beer and not worry about bombs if the temperature rises in the growlers a bit (say if I have a car ride to take before sharing growlers)?

No. It didn't help at all. Both batches did the same. I did pick up a different brand if rootbeer extract. Forget which kind at the moment. But will post back with any results when I get around to making the next batch.

I use zaterains rootbeer extract. Over 15 gallons now and no problems settling. Its a little minty but my kids like it.

Any suggestions for a beer recipe that finishes out around 5-6% abv, but has very little taste? Maybe I could do a regular beer, with no hops, and finish out at 6%, then use it in place of water with my regular rootbeer recipe....

That's what I do I just upped my grain bill on the last big batch tht got me to 10% and carbonation problems, think if you go 7lb 2row, 3/4 lb Carmel 80 maybe even 120, then the 1lb lactose and maybe 2lbs or so of brown sugar should get you around 6.5%, I used the rainbow extract on this batch and it settled out on but I bottle so just a couple tips over end and it's got color or just pour and leave all behind and it's a clear beer that taste like rootbeer will post a pic in a lil while

Great thread guys. Just powered through the whole thing.

Campden and even potassium sorbate inhibit bacteria and yeasts, they don't kill or even very reliably halt the activity of your carbonating yeast. There's a good chance it will keep going. Bulk pasteurizing is even easier than bottle pasteurizing and it actually works, so I don't see why you wouldn't do that if you're kegging.

Bulk pasteurizing for kegging does sound easier. How would you do that? Just pour into a pot and heat to 160-170? Thanks

Yep, that's your target. Really just hitting 160 or so is enough for the level of pasteurization you need, but 165-170 rules out the error without getting hotter than you need. You can cool ASAP once you hit target, you don't need to maintain it any longer than it takes you to get there.

You want to take standard precautions against splashing and such, especially when hot--otherwise, it's not hard at all, much easier than bottle pasteurizing, and you have a stable final product.

So I just got done bottling the root beer.

At bottling I added-
1 cup sugar boiled in 1 cup water
5 1/2 oz wildflower honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp root beer extract (McCormick)

Is all the sugar in the secondary for sweetening? Or is some of that for carbing? I'll be kegging, so I'm not sure if I should these same amounts. Thanks

Latest posts

Back