Hard Lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobdaughtry

Reaction score
Got a couple of questions about hard lemonade. Did a few searches and felt like I have a couple pieces I need to the puzzle. And no I don't want to just flavor some liquor with lemonade. My wife wants me to try to make this for her. I think it is the least I can do, as she is very patient with me and my brewing.

I want to make about 4-5 gallons. Looks like some of the recipes out there use only lemonade concentrate, and others add sugar/dme to boost the alchohol%.

2 lb light DME
2 lb of sugar or honey ?
5 cans of lemonade concentrate
5 lemons in boil pot - cut up
Boil fermentables x 15 minutes
5 lemons in primary - cut up
3 campden tabs
Yeast nutrient
2 packets of wine yeast

Questions:

#1 Can I just use lemons for this recipe instead of adding lemon concentrate? If so, how many do I add to qs for 5 cans of concentrate?

#2 How does one add the 5 lemons to primary without a boil - Very confused about this as sterility will become an issue.

#3 Would anyone recommend sugar over honey? What would you use and why?

#4 I also see information out there about adding yeast nutrients. Exactly what product does anyone recommend? Brand/ingredient names would be helpful.

#5 Do the campden tabs get thrown into the boil or just dump into primary?

#6 Exactly what strain of wine yeast should be used?

#7 What fermentation time / conditioning time should I plan for?

Any recommendations would be helpful. If you see anything out of line here just let me know. I am up for any deconstructive / constructive criticism. I tried doing a search, but didn't feel like I was getting a lot of solid information.

Thanks,
JDFROMJAX

I've never used DME, and only used lemonade concentrate, so I can't answer your questions about that. I do have to say that it was my toughest ferment ever! It's the acidity- the yeast does NOT want to get started.

One tip- make sure there is NO sorbate in the lemonade concentrate. And make a starter. If you mix up your must, you can take a bit of it out and dilute it. Then, dissolve your yeast in a cup of warm water and a pinch of sugar. When it's foamy, add some dissolved must. (a little bit!) When that is foamy, and still going, add a little more, and then a little more until you can add straight must and not stop fermentation. It might take about three days. Then, dump that starter into the must. It should go. I've posted my recipe and my notes, but if they are hard to find, I can dig it up again if needed.

Good luck!

Your recipe is similar to mine, I used DME too to make my yeast happier in the acidic environment. I also added apple juice for the same reason. BTW, you can't taste the apple juice, it was just for a friendly yeast base.

I would not use real lemons. They will give you a more bitter than sour taste.

I used raw sugar in mine. Honey would work too but since it's going to ferment out completely, it's a more costly option with no benefit.

I saw no reason to use camden tablets. I was not using any fresh fruit so it would have been a waste.

I used côte des Blancs yeast. I was going for a sweeter lemonade and did not want it to dry out too much. I also added 8 ounces of lactose for this reason.

I left mine in the primary for a month, then racked. It sat in the secondary for three months before I got around to bottling. It took about 10 days for it to carb after I bottled it.

Back