hard Hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switcher

Reaction score
Going for a nuclear hard cider with abv around 15%-18%. Used 5 gallons pasteurized honeycrisp cider, wyeast champagne yeast, 4 lbs white sugar, 4 lbs Brown sugar. I can't seem to get my og above 1.092. So it should only be about 11-13%. Should I have used more sugar?

I think you didn't dissolve/mix the sugars well enough. Assuming 1.060 for the juice, you ought to have 1.115 for a 5 gallon batch.

Going for a nuclear hard cider with abv around 15%-18%. Used 5 gallons pasteurized honeycrisp cider, wyeast champagne yeast, 4 lbs white sugar, 4 lbs Brown sugar. I can't seem to get my og above 1.092. So it should only be about 11-13%. Should I have used more sugar?

That's not cider, it's wine.
Regards, GF.

bottlebomber said:
I think you didn't dissolve/mix the sugars well enough. Assuming 1.060 for the juice, you ought to have 1.115 for a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks ill take another reading tonight

roadymi said:
It will likely take a very long time to age out and be drinkable unless you make it very sweet.

Yes I'm planning on 6 to 8 weeks

Not to burst your bubble, but I made a 13% cherry apple wine in April and it is just now starting to get drinkable. Plan more like 6 to 8 months. 6 to 8 weeks is low for a 6% cider. You can cheat it with backsweetening and drink it sooner as stated above.

Not to burst your bubble, but I made a 13% cherry apple wine in April and it is just now starting to get drinkable. Plan more like 6 to 8 months. 6 to 8 weeks is low for a 6% cider. You can cheat it with backsweetening and drink it sooner as stated above.

Agreed....by a very long time I was thinking up to a year or more. I prefer my 6-8% cider/wines to age 8 months or more.

A year....that is going to be hard to do...luckily an imperial pumkin stout goes in the fermenter this weekend

Well i kegged the cider already....final gravity .097 from o.g. 1.15 BOOM 23%

It was so dry it was almost completely undrinkable....so I Back sweetened it with 3 cans of tree top concentrate and made it perfect.

it is scary drinkable now...it is called MIND ERASER CIDER...and one glass is enough to get very buzzed...2 glasses drunk.....3 1/2 passed out and woke up the next day!!!!!

Figured it is a bad idea to keep it kegged so it is getting bottled today to be laid down for awhile!

Ended up very very gooooood especially with a shot of fireball!

Back