hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itsoeverclear

Reaction score
I'm brewing some hard cider, and I'm a little worried about my brew. It seems like a fairly silly worry... Although, it's giving me quite a bit of anxiety. This is my 2nd attempt at brewing mind you.. First, did not go so well (horrible taste).

I forgot to dissolve the sugar in my brew, and added the yeast (high quality wine yeast) in along with the undissolved sugar. When I realized what I had done, 10 or 15 minutes had gone by (at that time, I fixed my mistake)... Did not dissolving the sugar, before adding the yeast - kill off any yeast? If so, how much do you think was killed off in that time frame?

None. Sugar shouldn't kill yeast. The only reason I dissolve it is to get accurate gravity readings. If you used hot water to dissolve the sugar, though, that might kill some yeast! As long as you stayed at a warm temperature (not hot), it'll be fine.

Back