Happy Oberon Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
Today was the official release of my favorite Bells Brewery summertime beverage. Love those wheat beers in the warmer weather. Anybody have a good ag clone? Or, just an Oberon love affair? Cheers

Just made a batch of a clone yesterday. Untried, but based on lots of good intel from this site.

Today was the official release of my favorite Bells Brewery summertime beverage. Love those wheat beers in the warmer weather. Anybody have a good ag clone? Or, just an Oberon love affair? Cheers

Code:
Recipe: Le Roi Soleil
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): [B]11.00 gal   [/B]
Measured OG: [B]1.056 SG[/B]
Estimated Color: [B]4.7 SRM[/B]
Estimated IBU: [B]19.5 IBUs[/B]
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                           Type          %/IBU         
10 lbs      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM)           Grain         47.6 %       
10 lbs      Wheat Malt Pale, Ger (1.7 SRM)           Grain         47.6 %        
1 lbs       Melanoiden Malt (28.0 SRM)               Grain         4.8 %         
60.00 g     Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min      Hop           14.2 IBUs     
60.00 g     Saaz [3.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min            Hop           5.3 IBUs      
1.0 pkg     Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [124.21 Yeast         -             
60.00 g     Cascade [5.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           0.0 IBUs

Recipe: Bell's Oberon
Brewer: Jeff Cosgrove
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.44 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 7.55 %
6 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 45.28 %
5 lbs Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 37.74 %
1 lbs Bonlander Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 1.89 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 17.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (3 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.13 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 3.0 min) Misc
0.25 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 16.56 qt of water at 166.2 F 150.0 F

I have made this 5 or 6 times and modified a couple of times to get to this recipe that I think is very close. I actually use yeast harvested from bottles of Oberon and have not tried it with the yeast listed.

I built it off of the following post and one of the clone books.

http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/3340.html#3340-14

The first 12 @ my watering hole got to keep the glass

ForumRunner_20120326_213001.jpg

I wish we could get it here. They don't distribute to NJ.So I only get some when I travel.

When I lived in Michigan, I drank a lot of Bell's. They make a lot of good brews.

I have not done an Oberon recipe (yet),but I regularly do the THA and a Amber that are very close to the originals.

We have it year round here in FL. Good beer but the price is too high to buy it very often.

It's a seasonal. Whoever is selling it has stockpiled some old Oberon from the summer...

My daughter and I made up a recipe based on a few threads of information. Never brewed it because it was getting to close to the actual release and I don't have time enough to spend brewing beer that I can buy downtown.

Also, FYI I emailed Bells about their methods and the brewer assured me that they do NOT perform a decoction mash for this beer.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We do not use decoction mashing for Oberon Ale. In fact, we use a simple infusion mash. I’m sorry that there isn’t more of a trick to it than that, but there it is.

Boerderij_Kabouter has some of the best info here on Wheat Pales (i.e., Oberon). Read some of his posts on Oberon clones and for his own version called Titania. I've had it, it's spectacular.

I agree that they don't use a decoction; but when cloning this and using the decoction I was able to brew a batch that was darned close to the original.

Homercidal said:
It's a seasonal. Whoever is selling it has stockpiled some old Oberon from the summer...

My daughter and I made up a recipe based on a few threads of information. Never brewed it because it was getting to close to the actual release and I don't have time enough to spend brewing beer that I can buy downtown.

Also, FYI I emailed Bells about their methods and the brewer assured me that they do NOT perform a decoction mash for this beer.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We do not use decoction mashing for Oberon Ale. In fact, we use a simple infusion mash. I’m sorry that there isn’t more of a trick to it than that, but there it is.

Oberon is available year round in Puerto Rico, Florida, Arizona and parts of southern Alabama.

http://bellsbeer.com/blog/

Oberon is available year round in Puerto Rico, Florida, Arizona and parts of southern Alabama.

You guys suck!! We live a couple of counties away and we don't get it during the winter??

We'd probably drink it all year too, but then Bells wouldn't have a huge cult following on release day.

Went to Total Wine today hoping to pick up some Oberon, but it's not on the shelves yet. "Oberon Day" isn't really a thing in Virginia, so I guess the distributers will get it on the shelves sometime this week. No worries, though. It's not as if I won't be able to find it app summer long.

Thanks for the heads up i had no idea when it came out. I remember trying that for the first time and thought it was a funk-machine of a beer but good-no idea how old it was or anything but i thougth it was strangly delicious at the time.Man,sometimes i wish my palate was that vaunerable anymore.Ha ha.

furner said:
anyone else feel that this year's Oberon is not as good as past years?

Oh no, that's not good to hear. To me it's summer in a glass. But this summer is my chance to prefect a summer wheat of my own. Cheers

FWIW, anyone close to a Meijers. It's on sale for 7.00 a sixer this week. Halfway through my first and probaby will pick up 1 or 4 more before midnite saturday...I need the bottles.

How is it fair that the beer brewed in MY HOME STATE isn't available year round here...

My only question is, are they stockpiling old Oberon and just sending it out to these states? I know the Oberon sold in MI isn't pasteurized, but are there laws in other states where it has to be, increasing shelf life?

Got a couple pints last night. It was good, but not as good as I remember. It wasn't as cold as it should have been. Going to pick up some bottles when they come in and see again. Regardless, I am definitely brewing a clone soon.

furner said:
anyone else feel that this year's Oberon is not as good as past years?

I just had my 1st bottle (finally!), & I agree. It's still good, but not like when I first tried it a couple of years ago, & it blew me away! I LOVE wheat beers, & Oberon is my favorite. Hope to get some on draft this weekend...

How is it fair that the beer brewed in MY HOME STATE isn't available year round here...

My only question is, are they stockpiling old Oberon and just sending it out to these states? I know the Oberon sold in MI isn't pasteurized, but are there laws in other states where it has to be, increasing shelf life?

It is produced year round for a few select states. Bell's definitely doesn't pasteurize, all their packaging pretty much says that. Lots of places do purchase large quantities of Oberon and sit on it till the next season, which in my opinion is pretty shady and drives a large portion of the debate of if the beer tastes different every year. Fortunately all bottles now have a packaged on date aside from their standard batch number.

The beer brewed in my home city (county if you want to split hairs) is seasonal so they can produce all those sweet delicious winter seasonal stouts, hopslam :rockin:. Besides it's synonymous with summer/sun, fortunately for Florida they are the sunshine state and Arizona is just nice all the time (compared to here at least).

BIL sent me a text picture of his Oberon Purchase last night. I had to reply with a picture of the Busch Copper Lager I bought. I had completely forgotten about Oberon Day!

And, FWIW, the Busch Copper Lager was not very good. It was a dark copper, sweet, and very under hopped. It's probably fine for someone going from soda to beer.

Back