Happiness with own beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Liam-

Reaction score
How many batches did it take you before you finally thought - "Yes! This is really good. I would pay for this in a bar"?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think it was batch number 3 was hey I would pay for this. By batch 6 I was thinking other people would pay for this at a bar.

Batch 3, my Clementine Wheat, own variation of an Oberon inspired recipe which I brew every summer now.

It probably took me 3 batches because I was so excited about brewing I didn't take the time to read enough before my first few brews which were within a month of getting into the hobby.

I always thought my brews were good, except for three. One was just not my taste, others liked it. One was a GF beer attempt that was horribly astringent. The third was a bad recipe combined with poor execution and a bottle infection.

I didn't think that I had a recipe that rival something I could buy from a brewery for 6 years.

I've already paid in spades for the beer I am now drinking.
I would sell it right now, On Consignment. If it doesn't move
Guess what? I'll drink it.
I got infected with non pasteurized beers in Europe.
I like to brew, it makes me happy!
I haven't had any complaints from anyone that isn't stuck on
commercial lite lagers.

From my first beer. I've only made IPAs, brown ales, stouts, ambers, and barley wine thus far. With exception of barley wine, I like mine more than any commercial beer( with exception of dales pale ale).

I'd also say that for anybodies home brew I've had too. There is something special in home brews that most commercial beers can't touch.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The first one after I quit using the Mr. Beer kits, batch 7 I think. I can't complain about Mr. Beer in general. It got me into the hobby, I enjoyed making the beer, it was a good learning experience, and I still use the LBK for small batches. But the first time I threw away everything except the LME and used fresh hops, DME and good yeast I thought, "Yes! That's beer!".

Can't recall how many batches, partly because I time warped as a brewer from the early 90s to about 2011. I can say that when I went to a full batch boil and added an immersion chiller it all changed for the good. From that point on, I can honestly say that I prefer my beer to most commercial and locally available beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Batch number 4, first all-grain. I was blown away even from the FG hydro sample. So completely different from my extract stove top batches.

Friends did blind taste test at Christmas party. My brown vs New Castle. I won 3-0.

My first couple brews were a little rough, My wife liked them more than I did. I have a brown that I can't keep up with and my Amber is fun. The biggest compliment is when I have people over and they have the choice of the refrigerator beer or my home brew, they take mine. They leave their beer they brought and drink mine.

Batch number 5 but In reality it was the third batch tastes because true batch 3 and 4 were in secondary. I ran through 14 of 20 bottles in 5 days. Nothing crazy but my first brew still has a 6 pack lying around that's old cause its gross. Lol

32 batches and I still don't think I could put it in a bar, of course I am OCD and it will probably never be ready for a bar. I've served them at parties and everyone loved my beer.

My 3rd batch (2nd five gallon) was the first one where I was really impressed with the flavor and was surprised that I actually created something that tastes like "real" beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back