Hangover free yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likefully

Reaction score
See this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-DNA-yeast-drink-reduce-adverse-effects.html

It seems like the essence of the argument is

Professor Jin used the enzyme nuclease as a ‘genome knife’ to snip DNA and precisely modify yeast strains used in fermentation. They found that winemakers can clone the enzyme to enhance malolactic fermentation – a secondary process that makes wine smooth. Improper malolactic fermentation generates the toxic byproducts thought to cause hangover symptoms.

This is not my understanding of what causes hangovers from the Chemistry of Beer course - hangovers are caused by the NADH and other such things, all related to blood alcohol concentrations.

This is not my understanding of what causes hangovers from the Chemistry of Beer course - hangovers are caused by the NADH and other such things, all related to blood alcohol concentrations.

Yes, and I thought there was the old dehydration factor too.

In any case, he has a great looking staff.

It's definitely not going to completely eliminate a hangover...but it will reduce it. Gizomodo actually has a pretty good break down of the full set of causes of a hangover...

http://gizmodo.com/5869915/what-is-a-hangover

Basically it sounds like this would eliminate congeners, basically toxic chemicals that cause a lot of the most severe symptoms, congener levels are very, very high in red wine, second only to tequila and brandy. Basically this would eliminate a lot of the reason you get a hangover...but not all of it.

Basically it sounds like this would eliminate congeners, basically toxic chemicals that cause a lot of the most severe symptoms, congener levels are very, very high in red wine, second only to tequila and brandy.

I love Red Wine, Brandy and Tequila, never have a problem with them (unless I just go stupid!!!). ....... Any explanation why I have problems with Gin in small doses?

I love Red Wine, Brandy and Tequila, never have a problem with them (unless I just go stupid!!!). ....... Any explanation why I have problems with Gin in small doses?

First, to get this out of the way, I'm NOT a medical professional, I just have an interest in hangovers and alcohol, much like everyone here. Offhand, I'd guess you're allergic to something in the gin, my boss, for example, is fairly allergic to sulfates which red wine has in abundance, drinking red wine gives him a massive headache, even after a single glass. Gin is pretty unique in its ingredients, it uses juniper berries as its primary ingredient, so it's entirely possible that's the cause; if the main ingredient isn't the cause it could be some of herbs and spices that are present in most gins. Finally, every alcohol has a unique mix of chemicals, from the fermentation and distillation process, if you're allergic to a compound present in large amounts in a particular alcohol, but that is found in small amounts elsewhere (such as sulfates) it can cause the bad hangovers you're talking about.

Because Gin tastes like isopropyl alcohol... JK (sort of) I have never aquired a taste for Gin. The one thing I can attribute my hangover factor to is hydration. Regardless of what I drink, If I down a good amount of water ~ an hour before going to bed, maybe throw in 800mg ibuprofen, I am solid in the AM. No water, ibuprofen, and just moderate to heavy indulgence.... Im dont feel human until the next evening.

Back