Hand Pump Alternatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Beerfessionals

I have built a portable bar thing, it is really fun and people love it. I however, hate the hand pumps. With 100 pumps you can fill like 4 cups real slow.

People like the pumps because it is kind of fun the first time, but gets obnoxious as people are just pumping away like crazy for lemonade and fruit punch.

What alternatives have you all come up with?

Using Corny Kegs. I don't like the little portable CO2 chargers, way too expensive!

Has anyone fit a bicycle pump to a disconnect? Would that give more air per pump?

Does anyone know how to attach this to an air line?
https://www.amazon.com/AUTDER-Cordl...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Is there any rotary hand pump on the market that I can attach to a Quick Disconnect??
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200611638_200611638

obligatory pic

**edit - Did this go through? What Image Hosting Site should I use if not?

Attachments

• Fiesta 3 Black Cut Out jpg.jpg
    Fiesta 3 Black Cut Out jpg.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Most of us use a 5#, 10#, or 20# CO2 tank and a regulator to dispense beer. Never air.

CO2 is the gas of choice for beer. It carbonates it, keeps it carbonated, and protects it from air while dispensing and keeping it stored for longer times.
Air (the 21% oxygen component, actually), on the other hand, is bad for beer, it oxidizes it. Usually within mere hours.

I agree, the little CO2 cartridges are a total rip off.
But they can be nifty to dispense beer from those specially designed pressurized "growlers" when taking to a party or club meeting. The maximum size of those growlers is a gallon, AFAIK. As long as the beer is pre-carbonated, one cartridge can dispense that amount in one handy, compact and attractive package.

Thank you guys, and yes I have cylinders at the ready, and right next to this machine on the beer machine. But this one is for the kids, lemonade, kool aid, and water on the heads. I'd much rather use air.

I have found though that using the hand pump isn't as bad as I thought, about 45 seconds of pumping fast dispensed 2 gallons without stopping at a reasonable speed, like ~~8 psi speed at the end. Maybe I should just always pre pump the kegs, someone will just have to hit it half way through the party one more time.

obligatory pic

**edit - Did this go through? What Image Hosting Site should I use if not?
Yes, your picture came through the first time.

Since the picture is "attached" to the post (uploaded to HBT), it should remain visible for as long as the site stores it or until you delete the link in the post.

But this one is for the kids, lemonade, kool aid, and water on the heads. I'd much rather use air.
Ah, those hand pumps are not used to dispense beer, thanks for the clarification.

The 2 pieces of apparatus you posted links to... The rotary hand pump is for liquids, not gas, and likely not food safe either. It's like a manual oil pump.
The other looks like a gadget bag like you often see on TV. It promises it can do a lot but actually will do nothing for you.

Instead, you could precharge the lemonade kegs with CO2. Or with air, using an air compressor, just keep a VERY close eye on the pressure applied, corny kegs are supposed to be fine up to 100-150 psi, but I wouldn't push them anywhere near that. Even if they're brand new and undamaged.

Or maybe use a tire inflator? With some you can preset the pressure.

Just be aware, many pumps and compressors use oil for lubrication and the oils can (and will) make it into the pressurized air they put out.

Yes, Thank You, keep the ideas coming!

I want an entertaining way to pressurize these kegs that kids and grandma can use. Anyone ever use a Cordless Tire Inflator Compressor Gun? They all look so cheap but some of them get pricey, makes me wonder if the expensive ones actually work well!? Would be a cool function, pull the trigger to charge, then dispense.

And no electricity so no air compressors, and gas compressors are much more expensive than just using Co2 like I should in the first place!

ApXiCCn
Anyone use something like this before?
XHbG8rK
*** Trying to attach photo of a bbq air blower hand crank fan***

Does my corny keg quick disconnect have a check valve? If I attach a hose to her do you guys think it will crank up to 10 psi??

Last edited:
Anyone use something like this before?
XHbG8rK

Does my corny keg quick disconnect have a check valve? If I attach a hose to her do you guys think it will crank up to 10 psi??
Sorry, that picture from your Imgur link did not come through.

Most common QDs don't have a built-in check valve, neither do the posts, they're just a poppet + spring. Only special QDs do. You can usually tell as the check valve assembly adds an inch or so to the QD's height.

When you attach an air hose to the QD, you can pressurize the keg fine with air. Then as soon as you pull the QD off the keg's post, the poppet in the post seals the keg, so it keeps pressure.

I think maybe we missing some obvious points here:

If you're pumping air over a sugary liquid like fruit punch, it's not going to be food safe for more than a day at best. Maybe a couple days if you're keeping it refrigerated.

Gravity dispensing would definitely be easier for everyone involved. If you aren't wanting to keep it sanitary, a simple 5gal igloo cooler is all you need to dispenser water, lemonade, etc.

Yea this was all inspired by my cousins wedding. Right after ceremonies there was crackers and fruit and beer etc. At the end of the table someone made some really cool mixed punches and a rum bomb thing, but nobody drank them. If however they came out of a tap and it was a cool thing, I'm sure it would have gotten more attention. But why stop there, kids can have fun too! And she paid the Catering company like $25 for the right to use their horrible plastic classic wedding gravity dispenser!!

Anyways thanks for the replies keep them coming!

I think maybe we missing some obvious points here:

If you're pumping air over a sugary liquid like fruit punch, it's not going to be food safe for more than a day at best. Maybe a couple days if you're keeping it refrigerated.

Gravity dispensing would definitely be easier for everyone involved. If you aren't wanting to keep it sanitary, a simple 5gal igloo cooler is all you need to dispenser water, lemonade, etc.

That's the beauty of it, I don't mind tossing $3.00 worth of kool-aid the next morning!

Back