Hallertau Blanc and Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hi all, well i bought 2 pounds of hallertau blanc by mistake, i wanted a regular hallertau and a got this 12% AA big guy, so i was wondering if this can be use for dry hopping a pale ale, im trying to make a Pale ale with about 45 IBU only cascade for bitternes but use the Hallertau for dry hop since i read its quite aromatic hop

I actually like hallertau blanc as a change-up on my kosches. Imo it conveys a solid white wine character which suits the style.
Might be a bit off the beaten path in a pale ale, but it won't be bad :)

Cheers!

A couple of years ago I brewed a Brut beer (Dry IPA) OG 1.035 fermented with amyloglucosidaise that finished at 1.003 and 4.5% ABV. I bittered with Nelson Sauvin and everything else was Hallertau Blanc. It clocked out at 26.9 IBUs and was a very pleasant beer. It got entered in a competition as Category 34C Experimental Beer and won First Place, though in fairness there weren't a huge number of entries in the class. Nevertheless it was a very approachable brew with hints of a light, refreshing Sauv Blanc white wine without being "winey" at all. I think it would be a great hop in a Blonde, Pils, even Helles with a non-Noble pedigree.

I'm a big fan of Hallertau Blanc, for both IPA (traditional, west coast, dry and bitter) and American Pale Ales. And it is nice and aromatic, with some citrus but more grape and white wine to it, maybe. I brewed an IPA recently with Chinook and Jarrylo in the kettle, but will be dry hopping it with Hallertau Blanc and Manderina Bavaria.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

well i guess i have to figure out, in fact im thinking on brewing a pale ale and a Cream ale both dry hop bith hallertau blac, how much do you use for 4.5 gallon batch?? 2 onz?

I'm a big fan of Hallertau Blanc, for both IPA (traditional, west coast, dry and bitter) and American Pale Ales. And it is nice and aromatic, with some citrus but more grape and white wine to it, maybe. I brewed an IPA recently with Chinook and Jarrylo in the kettle, but will be dry hopping it with Hallertau Blanc and Manderina Bavaria.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
Yes. I'll bet a nice APA bittered with Chinook and Hall Blanc for flavor/aroma would be a really sweet combo. Damn, now I've got ANOTHER one to put into the queue. When the Ice Age recedes, it's gonna' be a busy Spring.

Back