Half Batch Sour Mash, Tun too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
So I decided that this weekend I want to throw together a quick, half batch that I can keg up when all my stuff arrives. The notion of a lightly soured brown ale seemed pretty good to me and SWMBO, so a ketucky common seemed in order. I snatched up a recipe from one thread and halved it.

My problem is, it's only about 4.25 lbs of grains, which I'm going to mash for a couple days (for a sour mash). Is that going to be a problem in my 13 gallon rectangular cooler? Is it going to lose too much temperature to be safe over the course of that time?

One more thing, I bout grits to replace the flaked corn in the recipe. Only these were quick 5-minute grits. Are these the same as instant grits, and if not, do I still have to cook these first? It was either the 5-minute variety, old fashioned, or the instant that comes individually packaged.

It's going to lose a fair amount of temp over that time, but the volume will be plenty. You will want to insulate that cooler very well. I can't comment on the grits as I haven't used them yet.

Back