Hairline crack on pot weld

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay-Brew

Reaction score
I have a pot with two welded ports that I am using as a HLT. Bottom port has a three piece valve. When putting the valve on I wanted the lever on top and probably tightened it too much. The end result was a small hairline crack by the weld. When I used the pot some small drops of water were coming out of the crack. Nothing crazy and probably not worth worrying about but wondering if there is some kind of product I can put on the outside to seal the crack. It looks like it is cracked where the bottom of the pot is welded on. I should also add it's an "economy" pot so maybe not even worth it as it still seems to do the job.

Simple answer send it back. You buy a welded kettle so you never have to deal with leaks again. We've shot hunting rifles at our welds and they hold no problem. Installing a valve would never crack a proper weld.

Simple answer send it back. You buy a welded kettle so you never have to deal with leaks again. We've shot hunting rifles at our welds and they hold no problem. Installing a valve would never crack a proper weld.

I totally get where you are coming from. As I say this was an economy pot and I am kind of feeling a little bit like at least I am dealing with the devil I know with this one. When I first put the thermometer on and the valve I let water sit in it for a bit (like a week plus - shouldn't have done that so long) and some rust started forming around both welds. Anyway, I barkeeper friended the heck out of it and won't let it sit in water. So not concerned about that aspect anymore. When putting the valve back on I reefed on it and am about 99% sure I created the crack so that factors in a little not thinking of returning it (i.e., it was my fault). I think the key here is that they aren't proper welds and it's economy and you get what you pay for. Anyway, taking all of that together I think I will just deal with it and keep in mind the "you get what you pay for factor" going forward. I have an identical pot I have been using as a brew kettle and have had no issues, albeit the welds aren't great on that one either.

Economy pot or not, welded means welded solid, for life. This not a good example of, "sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you pay for what you get" your pot needs to be fixed, at their expense. Period.

Maybe you guys are right and I should look at returning it. Thanks for the input.

Back