Hair of the Dog "Fred from the Wood"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
Fred from the Wood - Batch #64
HOTD 003.jpg

I just opened a Hair of the Dog Fred from the Wood - Batch #64. This beer is a year old now and has really benefited from a year of aging. When young, the oak flavor predominates this beer.

It pours a beautiful rich amber with an orange hue when held to the light.

Thick creamy head dissipates slowly leaving a nice lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma is sweet vanilla, oak, dried fruits, pineapple

Medium body with huge malt up front, balanced beautifully with some dryness from the wood and a subtle spicy hop character. Flavors of toffee, vanilla, dates and hints of pineapple.

The oak is still very much present but has rounded out nicely to allow more of the other flavors to shine through.

I have a case of 2007 that I will definitely hold on to for at least another year or longer. I still have half a case of batch 64.

From the bottle label: Aged for 6 months in new American oak barrels, the flavor is smooth with sweet notes of tobacco and wood. Enjoy this bottle with friends and celebrate the diverse world of beers that exists today.

If you are in an area where you can get your hands on this beer, do yourself a favor and snatch some up. They only release around 100 cases a year and release it during their annual dock sale in November. It usually sells out in a couple of hours.

Still have a bottle of the 2007 that you gave me. After my experience with the young bottle of this beer, I am definately not opening for at least another year.

Working on the other bottle from my first visit with Brewtopia back in Fall 2007. Damn, man amazing how far this beer has come, but even more importantly how far you have came from your dreams of owning a taphouse/brewery to actually doing it.

I had a couple glasses of IPA before I opened this bottle, so my review is probably not going to be that good, but this beer has came a long way from the overly intense beer that it was (and my palate probably has changed some as well). Back then, it was a bit much for me, strong, bitter and full of tobacco flavors. Totally different now, it's mellowed significantly, and is so enjoyable, that I'm going to miss this beer.

Aroma: Oak, hints of sourness with strong vanilla and caramel notes.

Appearance: Pours hazy brown with a 3/4" tight head.

Taste: Oak, caramel and vanilla. Fruit and..... Heck, I really should have not had this beer after the IPA, but it's still fricken AWESOME!!

Moutfeel: Smooth, 10% alcohol is not evident, but will whip me later. Who is your Daddy? Fred is your Daddy!!!

Overall: A all the way. Even with non-optimal aging in my closet (temperature swings, etc...) this beer would be good to everyone except the most snobbiest of *****epoles. (Obviously, the IPA and this beer are not keeping McKBrew's mouth shut).

If you can get a hold of some FRED From the Wood, get at least a 6 pack. Drink one fresh and age it.

Don't mean to threadjack - but I just wanted to say that I've been falling in love with Hair of the Dog over the last 2 months. I'm incredibly lucky in that it's brewed about a mile from my home, so I can find it at a number of local stores. Have you guys tried the Blue Dot Double IPA? It's like huffing a baggie of fresh hops - smells so good that you have to remind yourself to take a sip once in a while.

Ok, back to Fred of the Wood . . . .

ugh.
Drool.
want.

anyone in PDX feel like hitting the brewery during the next dock sale for this poor Portland boy in exile?

Latest posts

Back