Had to change my shorts....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckosan

Reaction score
DOing my first AG double chocolate stout...the rich dark wort and the lovely smell of roasted chocolate was almost too much to handle.

I almost wish I'd discovered this method first...though I am still not over the constant things to do along the way.

Over-stated tip of the batch...keep a 5 gal bucket of Starsan just nearby at all times.

C

Single step mash - 3.5 gal @155 F for 60 mins
8 lbs. Maris Otter
2 lbs. Crystal 55L
1 lbs. Chocolate Malt
3/4 lbs. Lactose
1/4 lbs. Roasted Barley
1/2 lb of semi-sweet morsels added to boil at beginning.
1 oz. Fuggle @ 60 mins
1 oz. Goldings @ 25 mins
1/2 Oz Irish Moss @ 15 mins (which I forgot to do)

Sparge with 170 F - 45 mins

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Not sure where this came from, I had it on the back of a napkin after a party some months ago.

A little insider secret, instead of keeping a whoel 5G bucket of starsan around at all times, Use a spray bottle! and really starsan is only needed post boil. Anything preboil doesn't need sanitized....it get's boiled.

A little insider secret, instead of keeping a whoel 5G bucket of starsan around at all times, Use a spray bottle! and really starsan is only needed post boil. Anything preboil doesn't need sanitized....it get's boiled.

Yeah i didn't have one (a bottle) so made a bucket. it was useful for things like spoons and hoses for sure though.

Now I am sitting here staring at the bucket willing it to ferment. I think I need to find something else to do...like make another batch of beer.

C

Wow, sounds good. I am wondering, how does one add chocolate chips to a recipe in beersmith?

i didn't find them in brew target either. I just figured out the sugar content from the label and estimated the amount of sugar based on that. going to throw off my numbers i'm sure, but 8 oz of chips in 5 gal shouldn't be a huge deal.

Back