Had some troubles Syphoning last night....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using an auto siphon for several years - works very well. I've read that sometimes the plunger seat gets warped and leaks air by. Store the auto siphon with the cane part removed to prevent this. Also, you can pour some Star San or water into the auto siphon body (outer tube) to prevent air from entering.
Make sure the tube fits tightly over the cane - I have to use two cable ties to get it air tight.
And Make sure the bottom of the tube lays flat on the bottom to eliminate splashing.

I've used auto siphons before, & honestly i hate using them. When i first started brewing i would use the auto siphon to transfer the wort from the kettle ( because my kettle did not have a ball valve.) to the fermenter & then i would use the auto siphon to transfer the beer from my fermenter to my bottling bucket. I found this to be a pain in the ass because i would have to constantly run water through the auto siphon to flush it out, then do the same to sanitize it. To make it easier for me i bought a kettle with a ball valve so i could transfer the wort to the fermenter by simply using a silicone tube. Then i bought a fermenter with a ball valve ( so i cut out the bottling bucket) & i bottle straight from the fermenter. I have a auto siphon just in case a ball valve clogs up, but other than that....i dont use them.

Trashed my auto - siphon ten minutes into first use. Sucked air around the seal ring inside and oxidized the crap out of the four bottles I used it on.

Back to my old racking cane and hose. Swish with a half shot of bourbon before sucking on the hose and all is good.

Back