Had a Franziskaner weiss beer yesterday....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Over at my BIL (who spent some time in So. Germany), I had one of his favorites, Franziskaner weiss beer... and was disappointed!

Maybe my minor cold was in the way, or something but I did not find it appealing -- was drank way cold, IMO.

Is the green bottle just for US market?

It was labeled as Hefe Weiss. Is that just the southern Germany way of naming a white, or is it a true weisen?

I noticed "malt liquor" on the label. Does that mean the ABV is over that magic number, like 5.9% or such?

Any experts chime in?

Don't be too hard on that beer. Wheat beers are best consumed fresh.

Every once in a great while, I have encountered a delicious bottle of Franziskaner, but that is not the norm. Generally, and sadly, ANY import you have is probably going to be past its prime.

Wheat beers are best consumed fresh. While it may remind your BIL of his time in Germany, I'm sure the beer was actually much better there.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Wheat beers are best consumed fresh. While it may remind your BIL of his time in Germany, I'm sure the beer was actually much better there.

.. one of my goals an a budding brewer is to brew something that would make a good replacement to him...!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580170773/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

61026WSQCEL._AA240_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar experience with that beer, once. It was skunked and otherwise bland - clearly an old bottle. I tried it again (from a different store) after reading some rave reviews, and it was fantastic.

Yep love it. It's like a banana in a bottle. Really nice.

To be fair, however, no one I know will touch it. Too intense for them.

More for me!

:cross:

Try to find the .5 liter bottles (or whatever they are). They are brown. I like the Hefe-Weisse Dunkel the best. In fact, if I had to brew only one type of beer it would be a Dunkel-Weisse (funny thing is I need to brew it more!). To me, it is a perfect beer for alone or with food, any time. Anyways, yeah you probably got a poor representation because there is nothing you could really say bad (imo) about the Franziskaner product, it is just simple and great beer.

The small green bottles you always gotta watch out for. I am fortunate here in that the one distro moves a lot of the Franziskaner product and I have never gotten a bad case.

Also have you had a Hefe before?

Latest posts

Back