Hacking a GFIC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamp24

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building an all electric system and would like to use a standard 15A GFIC outlet I have at the house to run the pumps. Is there a way where I can hack into the outlet and the allow the outlets to be on/off independant of eachother?

Not unless you put each GFCI on its own switch would woudnt be that hard depending on your set up. I'm an electrician so let me know if I can help at all:mug:

hxcpumk I only want to use one GFIC but hack into the outlet so i can run the two outlets independently of each other with 2 on/off switches....do you think that would be possible?

I think the terminals on the GFCI outlet are bussed together, so you can't switch them separately. Just make a box with two switched regular outlets and a cord and plug it into the GFCI outlet.

hxcpumk I only want to use one GFIC but hack into the outlet so i can run the two outlets independently of each other with 2 on/off switches....do you think that would be possible?

It won't work with the GFCI but you can buy a regular 15amp or 20 amp plug for cheap and break the tab between the screws on the hot side (gold screws),and put them on different switches. Don't hesitate to ask any more ?s :mug:

The GFCI works by comparing the current/amperage going out on the hot wire (usually black) with the current/amperage on the neutral/common (usually white). It makes this comparison 40 times each second. If the currents are unbalanced by 5 mA (+/-1) then it immediately trips and opens the contacts for both the hot and common (but leaves the ground connected). There is a MOSFET circuit involved to handle the math.

Because of the circuitry involved, it would take two completely separate GFCI units to provide protection to two circuits as you described. Other options would be:

1. Use a GFCI cordset as others suggested
2. Use a GFCI circuit breaker (likely the most costly option)
3. Use your standard GFCI and then use the 'load' terminals to supply two separate standard outlets. Everything connected to the load terminals receives the same GFCI protection. In fact, you could use one outlet and break the tabs as proposed above. Using this method, you would run each feed through the switch before you hit the outlet but after the GFCI.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back