Habanero Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ealu-scop

Reaction score
So here's my plan:

-1 gallonish organic fresh cider
-2 habaneros, stems removed, sliced lengthwise
-Cinnamon sticks (not sure how many yet)
-pitch yeast (cider house select from brewers best) and air lock

The plan is to move to secondary after fermentation, leaving peppers and sticks behind.

Any thoughts on how this might turn out? I have a somewhat decent idea about the habaneros from reading around the forum, some recommend one, others two (mostly for mead), but I'm not so sure how many cinnamon sticks to use. I think I'll put em in a cheesecloth bag.

Anything else you'd recommend?

My preference is to flavor condition POST fermentation...I find it gives me the best control over the end product. That said...I've never done Habenaro, only jalapeno when I've done a pineapple-jalapeno-cinnamon.

For me (and others that tried it) the right amount of jalapeno for a good kick was 10 slices per Qt and I used pre-sliced from Sams in the big container.

I'm a big cinnamon fan...and use 2 full sticks per gal....and just toss em right in.

Cheers & Good Luck [emoji111]

The more I read up through the forum (and from you @bmd2k1 ) about peppers and cinnamon, I'm thinking I might wait to add them until the secondary. I've read too, that perhaps some oak chips will help with the body.

Any recommendations on how long I should let it all steep and age together? There is so much conflicting advice out there it's hard to find some footing on some of this stuff.

The more I read up through the forum (and from you @bmd2k1 ) about peppers and cinnamon, I'm thinking I might wait to add them until the secondary. I've read too, that perhaps some oak chips will help with the body.

Any recommendations on how long I should let it all steep and age together? There is so much conflicting advice out there it's hard to find some footing on some of this stuff.
My scenario is such that I bottle back into 1gal containers & serve directly from there. (On occasion I will toss some into 16 or 32oz bottles from the 1gal....for gifts or to take on the road.) That said...I found it only took a few days to get the jalapeno "kick"....and I always shook the container prior to serving.

[emoji111]

That said...I found it only took a few days to get the jalapeno "kick"....and I always shook the container prior to serving.

That's one of the reasons I've opted for a secondary flavoring. Most folks said it only took a few days for the heat from the peppers to kick in. I figured if I let it ferment for 2-3 weeks first, I might create some liquid fire that no one wants. I mean, i want it hot, like ouch hot, but fun ouch hot, not go-to-the-ER hot...

Trial & error is a dang fun endeavor with cider making! Take good notes so your successes are more easily repeatable.

Enjoy & Cheers [emoji111]

Might want to only use one habanero.
You can throw in another later on if the heat is too subtle for your tastes.
Compare it to cutting a 2x4 (or anything) if you leave it a bit long, you can shave off a little more till it's perfect. But once you cut too much (or use too much hot pepper) then it is ruined and you have to start over.

Might want to only use one habanero.
You can throw in another later on if the heat is too subtle for your tastes.
Compare it to cutting a 2x4 (or anything) if you leave it a bit long, you can shave off a little more till it's perfect. But once you cut too much (or use too much hot pepper) then it is ruined and you have to start over.

I actually came to that conclusion. I went ahead and started my batch over the weekend and am looking forward to flavoring it in the secondary.

I'm thinking 1 pepper, 1 cinnamon stick, and some oak chips (still researching about how many and how long for oak chips). I'll taste it after a week and adjust or rack as necessary. Sound like a solid plan?

I personally like both cinnamon in a cider and oak flavor......
BUT not at the same time.
If feasable, do a large batch of cider and split into 3 seperate containers.
(1 for each of your flavor additions)
Once each one is where you like them individually, you can then take specifically measured amounts of each to blend in yet another container.
This will let you experiment with different ratios to help you dial in one that you like.
Good luck.

I personally like both cinnamon in a cider and oak flavor......
BUT not at the same time.
If feasable, do a large batch of cider and split into 3 seperate containers.
(1 for each of your flavor additions)
Once each one is where you like them individually, you can then take specifically measured amounts of each to blend in yet another container.
This will let you experiment with different ratios to help you dial in one that you like.
Good luck.

Regarding: Cinnamon with Oak...Is this just a personal taste kind of thing, or more of a general knowledge 'don't do it, no one does it because it doesn't work' kind of thing?

It's only my second time making cider (my first isn't even a week into its secondary).

"Is this just a personal taste kind of thing,".......
the answer is in this phrase,
"I personally like"

You might end up loving the flavor combination.
I personally feel that the flavors compete with each other and not compliment.
This is from a person whom likes both of those flavors in a cider mind you.
The only way to know FOR SURE if YOU will like it or not is to simply try it.
-Cheers.

"Is this just a personal taste kind of thing,".......
the answer is in this phrase,
"I personally like"

You might end up loving the flavor combination.
I personally feel that the flavors compete with each other and not compliment.
This is from a person whom likes both of those flavors in a cider mind you.
The only way to know FOR SURE if YOU will like it or not is to simply try it.
-Cheers.

thanks for the clarification!

I've been researching oak and it seems that a very little goes a LONG way and can have a major impact on flavor. I'll probably still do both but with a very short leash on the oak.

I think I'll try one pepper, one cinnamon stick, and (still trying to find a proper amount but) maybe less than an ounce of oak chips, all in secondary for two weeks tops, taste and proceed.

Ok, I racked last night (one traditional cider into bottles and) my habanero cider into secondary.

I did as I planned above, one pepper, destemmed and cut lengthwise, one cinnamon stick, and less than an ounce of oak chips (american oak, light toast). I 'sanitized' the ingredients by soaking in vodka for a bit before I included them.

My biggest worry however is the transfer. My siphon skillz suck (or my siphon...I haven't decided yet) apparently. I couldn't get a regular flow going and I think air bubbles were getting in from where the tube and the siphon meet. I fear it got a lot of air during the racking. That and the headspace is a little more than I had in my previous cider secondary (though not by much...just at the wide base of the 'neck' of the carboy).

You can sani some glass marbles to take up headspace.

So here's my plan:

-1 gallonish organic fresh cider
-2 habaneros, stems removed, sliced lengthwise
-Cinnamon sticks (not sure how many yet)
-pitch yeast (cider house select from brewers best) and air lock

The plan is to move to secondary after fermentation, leaving peppers and sticks behind.

Any thoughts on how this might turn out? I have a somewhat decent idea about the habaneros from reading around the forum, some recommend one, others two (mostly for mead), but I'm not so sure how many cinnamon sticks to use. I think I'll put em in a cheesecloth bag.

Anything else you'd recommend?

Sorry for the late reply but... I did 5 gallons of hatch chili cider, and three “mild / medium” peppers (6-8 inches long) in the whole batch for 2 weeks made for a plenty spicy cider! I had made some pepper tincture with vodka that I was thinking of using, but definitely didn’t need. Now I’ve got a pint of spicy-ass hatch chili tincture that I need to figure out how to use (maybe another batch and compare the results!)

How's this going? I've been contemplating a Hab Cider as well.

You can sani some glass marbles to take up headspace.

This is a pretty nifty idea to reduce head space. I may have to incorporate this as well.

Yet one more cider I need to try:(... thanks!

Just joking. Thankfully I have an awesome source of cider for $4/gallon.

I made a stout once with one pepper per bottle, don’t remember what pepper, but once it carbed it was a nice heat level! Fast forward a couple of months, OMG! I love spicy stuff, but WOW! Might as well pour a glass of Dave’s gourmet!

Made a chili with a round steak with it recently and it has mellowed, still has a kick, but not unbearable.

just finished another gal on habanero cider, it is great. A little heat, but just enough to know it is there. Here is what I did.
1) fermented 1 gal of my regular cider (store juice + crabs)
2) when finished added 2 de-seeded habaneros in a screen bag
3) stabilized and back sweetened with 3 oz of FAJC

It is just about perfect!. I bottled up most of it, but pulled about a qt to drink now. The rest will wait a few months. Also, I just put habaneros in another gal that is done fermenting. That one I will probably store the whole thing.

4 or 5 days. But I am thinking about going for a couple weeks just to see what it does. I can always mix it with plain cider if it is too hot

Back