H-Balm's Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Balm

Reaction score
Well, it starts!

Today I took ownership of a 1.5 year old 13.0 cubic foot Kenmore Chest Freezer!

I stumbled upon a craiglist post and got very lucky.
I was traveling away from home today, so on a lark I popped on the destination's craigslist. Pure dumb luck had me find the freezer, a few hours after the posting. Set up a visit for the afternoon.

During the day, I popped over to Sears and looked at a new model, for an idea. I was pretty psyched when the used one was in nicer shape than the floor model.

Now, it sits in the van.
Soon.... the building begins!
:ban:

Uh-oh..... the wife has seen it!

She started "wondering" if maybe we should switch the smaller, older freezer we store food in with this new one.

:eek:

quick, plant some mold looking substance in it to scare her off! tell her only your beer will be safe due to it's alcohol content....or something.

I'm surprised that it took her 4 days to find a 13 cu ft freezer! Tell her to go get her own! Now that she knows about it, it's time to get started on the build.

Time moves fast, I move slowly.

Here is a stock photo of my subject.

kenmore_46-16342.jpg

Thoughts after looking at it:
  • It holds 6 kegs with no collar, 8 if I make a collar.
  • The nice thing though is that I don't have to, the height is plenty adequate to have hookups on and still shut the door.
  • There is a lot of space that, almost will fit a keg, but doesn't, I suppose that extra space can be used for something.

I still may lose this unit though... while we had two. this was a good chance to defrost and clean up our "food" freezer (did you know they can hold...... food?). It is much easier to use the new one for food.

So, to be prepared, my smaller unit can hold 3 with no collar, 4/5 with collar.
In the end.... not that bad either.

The next bit of research on this project is to determine what controlling unit I prefer to work with. Onto the HBT SEARCH function!!!

Back