Gunk on bottom of primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eojnnamleppak

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am transferring my brew from my primary to the bottling bucket. This is my first batch. There is about a half inch of gunk on the bottom of my primary. Looks like cookie dough or something. Is that usual?

I got all the beer transferred to the bottling bucket without any gunk or sediment. Beer looks clean and smooth.

Thanks.

If this is your first brew, it is customary that you eat a spoonful of the trub for posterity...

Congrats on the first. Be careful, it's addictive

lastsecondapex said:
If this is your first brew, it is customary that you eat a spoonful of the trub for posterity...

Congrats on the first. Be careful, it's addictive

Ugh...,

Thank you all!

Next question. My batch calls for approx 53 beers. Just finished bottling, the batch only filled up a out 37. There was about an inch or so of brew under the spit at the bottom of both buckets that I did not use because of sediment at bottom.

Why so low?!? ****, now I'm worried!

I started with 2.5 gallons when making the wort. Then added another 2.5 before pitching the yeast.

Not sure where/how I would have lost a few gallons. There were sediment marks on the side of primary around the 5 gallon mark.

Would that much of the wort evaporate in 2.5 weeks?

Will my beer be bad now?

Your not really going to get any evaporation worth mentioning... Sounds like a combination of thermal shrink, trub loss, boil off, and perhaps a little bit of mismeasurement thrown in.

eojnnamleppak said:
I started with 2.5 gallons when making the wort. Then added another 2.5 before pitching the yeast.

Not sure where/how I would have lost a few gallons. There were sediment marks on the side of primary around the 5 gallon mark.

Would that much of the wort evaporate in 2.5 weeks?

Will my beer be bad now?

If you boiled for an hour you prob boiled off about a gallon and then some trub loss at the bottom maybe another 1/2 gallon and only topped off with 2.5 gallons so that puts you at about 3.5 gallons.

How did you prime? Add sugar to bottle bucket or to bottles themselves? If to the bucket and added sugar for 5 gallons you may end up with some over carbed beer, I'd put them someplace cool. I had that happen to a Pumpkin Ale I primed for 5 and ended up with just over 3.5 and now I have gushers.

I added sugar to the whole bottling bucket. So it might be over carbonated. What is a cool temp to keep them at?

Also, I bottled in Miller, Yuengling, and Shiner bottles. Someone mentioned earlier that capping twist off bottles might not work, is that the case? I am using the standard capper that comes with Brewers Best kit.

How can I avoid boiling off a gallon of water in my next batch?

Thank you guys so much for your input.

You don't avoid boiling off water, it happens like it or not, you plan for it. So if you know your pot on your fire in your environment burns off 1 gallon you start with 3.5. Then it ends up 2.5 and you add the additional 2.5. Alternately you can mark your fermentation container at the five gallon mark then boil as much as you comfortably can and top off to five gallons once everything is in the fermentation bucket/carboy/whatever.

eojnnamleppak said:
I added sugar to the whole bottling bucket. So it might be over carbonated. What is a cool temp to keep them at?

Also, I bottled in Miller, Yuengling, and Shiner bottles. Someone mentioned earlier that capping twist off bottles might not work, is that the case? I am using the standard capper that comes with Brewers Best kit.

How can I avoid boiling off a gallon of water in my next batch?

Thank you guys so much for your input.

I keep my beer in my basement and this time of year it's between 55 and 62, I have the pumpkin ale in the colder part the rest in the warmer part.

I can't speak for the twist off bottles Iv never used them, search the forum I have read some guys have.

And what the other person before me said about preparing for boil off.

Back