Gumball Head Clone....WOW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I never had a true Three Floyd's Gumball Head, but based on the reviews of this Hop forward wheat beer, I took a gamble. I do like Boulevard's Hoppy Wheat Beer, so I felt it safe to take a leap of faith.

5.5G into fermenter: Using 4 ounces of Amarillo hops total, only .5 oz 60 min boil for bittering, 1 oz 15min, .5 oz 5 min, 1 oz flameout, 1 oz dry hop in keg. This beer really shows off the single hop Amarillo which I am a first time user.

2 Row/Wheat/Aromatic 50/40/10. Mashed 148F, yeast was US-05, OG 1.053. Two weeks in primary @ 65F, 1.009 FG racked to keg, added 1 oz dry hops for 4 days at room temp in sealed keg.

This is without doubt the one beer that I am starting another batch as I am just now bringing online after set and forget carbing and conditioning. There is an interesting flavor that the wheat brings out in the Amarillo, and for the lack of better description, it is almost like a toasty or faintly nutty nuisance. This beer is so balanced easy going that I am putting it on a ration system. I was so proud of this one I took a bottle from my tap over to a buddy who owns a local brewery. He immediately said he wants to do a joint collaboration on a 100G batch for the taproom. Yep, it's THAT good!

Nice Job. What yeast did you go with, Cali?

I used a dry (rehydrated) sachet of US-05. I use a large variety of style specific liquid yeasts, and feel they offer special touches for a large number of beers I brew. But for a general, neutral based workhorse of a yeast, 05 is my go strain. I like the final gravity this yeast offers for beers starting in the standard 1.048-1.060 range.

I see you have a Chocolate Milk Stout in primary. I just brewed a CMS today and pitched Wyeast Northwest Yeast #1332. Looking forward to seeing what FG this beer/yeast combo gives me.

Yeah let me know. I just used WLP001 and it's actually kegged now. I like it better than some commercial milk stouts. I still think 4 hands is hands down one of my favorites though. Would love to clone that.

Gumball head is one of my favorite regulars of theirs. I don't much care for zombie dust, but I'm spoiled since TG's pseudo sue is local for me. May have to give this a try.

Gumball head is one of my favorite regulars of theirs. I don't much care for zombie dust, but I'm spoiled since TG's pseudo sue is local for me. May have to give this a try.

I am genuinely impressed with the beer I made, but being in SC, the real deal from 3 Floyds seems reserved for those who travel more toward the location of the brewery. Great Fermentations had a clone called Amarillo Face (with recipe) on their site plus Northern Brewer had a Gumball Head clone recipe listed with their kit. I did some other searching inc 3 Floyds site and used BeerSmith to put together a recipe I felt would bring the best of all forward. The reality is I have no idea if this clone I made was even close to the 3 Floyds version, but I can honestly say the beer I made was none short of excellent! This one will find a permanent reserved spot on my tap tower.

Yeah let me know. I just used WLP001 and it's actually kegged now. I like it better than some commercial milk stouts. I still think 4 hands is hands down one of my favorites though. Would love to clone that.

I'll post you back when this Wyeast NW 1332 finishes and see what the FG ends up being. I bought a new MM3 mill, and hit 1.063 OG with an 83.06% eff (higher than I expected BIAB) plus the lb of lactose added. If this yeast finishes at 1.020 I'll be happy, then I am soaking 4oz of cacao nibs in vodka tincture to pitch when I keg. I am wandering off the beaten path with this CMS, so I hope it makes something decent.

I'll post you back when this Wyeast NW 1332 finishes and see what the FG ends up being. I bought a new MM3 mill, and hit 1.063 OG with an 83.06% eff (higher than I expected BIAB) plus the lb of lactose added. If this yeast finishes at 1.020 I'll be happy, then I am soaking 4oz of cacao nibs in vodka tincture to pitch when I keg. I am wandering off the beaten path with this CMS, so I hope it makes something decent.

I don't know what your experience is with nibs but I like roasting them in the over until it smells like brownies then I soak in vodka.

I don't know what your experience is with nibs but I like roasting them in the over until it smells like brownies then I soak in vodka.

I wish I had gotten your tip before I started soaking them last weekend. Next time I'll try the toasting trick. I pan toast coriander seeds before crushing them to make a Gose, and I know that technique greatly enhances the flavor profile. Good tip, thanks!

I never had a true Three Floyd's Gumball Head, but based on the reviews of this Hop forward wheat beer, I took a gamble. I do like Boulevard's Hoppy Wheat Beer, so I felt it safe to take a leap of faith.

5.5G into fermenter: Using 4 ounces of Amarillo hops total, only .5 oz 60 min boil for bittering, 1 oz 15min, .5 oz 5 min, 1 oz flameout, 1 oz dry hop in keg. This beer really shows off the single hop Amarillo which I am a first time user.

2 Row/Wheat/Aromatic 50/40/10. Mashed 148F, yeast was US-05, OG 1.053. Two weeks in primary @ 65F, 1.009 FG racked to keg, added 1 oz dry hops for 4 days at room temp in sealed keg.

This is without doubt the one beer that I am starting another batch as I am just now bringing online after set and forget carbing and conditioning. There is an interesting flavor that the wheat brings out in the Amarillo, and for the lack of better description, it is almost like a toasty or faintly nutty nuisance. This beer is so balanced easy going that I am putting it on a ration system. I was so proud of this one I took a bottle from my tap over to a buddy who owns a local brewery. He immediately said he wants to do a joint collaboration on a 100G batch for the taproom. Yep, it's THAT good!

I have done an extract version of this, yes it is good

I made the great fermentations clone version of this several times and it is excellent.

I decided this Hoppy Wheat clone of Gumball Head would have a dedicated spot on my 5 tap tower. I brewed my second batch yesterday, and I decided I'd try something to compare to see if I like even better:

This beer has all Amarillo hops with 3 ounces spread out during the boil, then 1 more ounce dry hopped when kegging. BeerSmith puts me in the range of 35 IBU's with this recipe. I really like Sorachi Ace hops and the faint pop of lemon and dill it offers in the correct proportion. So when it comes to the dry hopping stage, I think I may use .75 oz of Amarillo and .75 oz of Sorachi Ace mixed together.

I know the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" applies, but I am willing to try this since I keep thinking the combos would be well suited for each other in such a situation as dry hopping. If anyone has tried this combo and feel it is not pleasant, please holler and keep me from messing up a great beer!!!

i made this last summer for the first time, and i bumped the FO & dry hop additions to 2oz each. it was easily one of the best things i've made.
a couple of months ago i was able to get my hands on a few bottles of the real thing, and this clone is spot on.

i made this last summer for the first time, and i bumped the FO & dry hop additions to 2oz each. it was easily one of the best things i've made.
a couple of months ago i was able to get my hands on a few bottles of the real thing, and this clone is spot on.

Were you using a recipe similar to the one I posted at the beginning of this thread? I know you said you modified the amounts for FO and dry hopping, but was your basic recipe similar to my post?

I stuck with my original recipe up to this point, but I can always do some modifications when I dry hop. If you like the difference that extra ounce made when you dry hopped, sounds like a plan. Still pondering Sorachi Ace, however.

It sounds real similar to the recipe I made. I cant find my recipe right off hand.
It was the first time I made it, so I cant say the changes i made in the hop schedule made a huge difference. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was for the better.
I'm not sure how sorachi ace will pair with it. I've only used it in a saison.

I am genuinely impressed with the beer I made, but being in SC, the real deal from 3 Floyds seems reserved for those who travel more toward the location of the brewery. Great Fermentations had a clone called Amarillo Face (with recipe) on their site plus Northern Brewer had a Gumball Head clone recipe listed with their kit. I did some other searching inc 3 Floyds site and used BeerSmith to put together a recipe I felt would bring the best of all forward. The reality is I have no idea if this clone I made was even close to the 3 Floyds version, but I can honestly say the beer I made was none short of excellent! This one will find a permanent reserved spot on my tap tower.

Is your recipe on the BeerSmith cloud? I'd be interested to know a little more about your grain bill. I brew 2.5g batches so I'd be interested to convert it to my needs.

The great fermentations recipe has it more 90/10 of 2row to wheat. Thanks!

Is your recipe on the BeerSmith cloud? I'd be interested to know a little more about your grain bill. I brew 2.5g batches so I'd be interested to convert it to my needs.

The great fermentations recipe has it more 90/10 of 2row to wheat. Thanks!

I've made this a few ways varying the percentage of base to wheat. My best suggestion is to try 60/40 2 row to wheat...or even 50/50 since this is sort of a combination of a pale ale and a wheat beer. Wheat gives it a very nice and rich mouthfeel which I prefer, bit some don't like it that way. Your tastes can guide you, but 60/40 is a very safe starting point.

Nice, I rarely enjoy wheat beers, but I do love Gumballhead. I'm going to try this out, THANKS!

I've made this a few ways varying the percentage of base to wheat. My best suggestion is to try 60/40 2 row to wheat...or even 50/50 since this is sort of a combination of a pale ale and a wheat beer. Wheat gives it a very nice and rich mouthfeel which I prefer, bit some don't like it that way. Your tastes can guide you, but 60/40 is a very safe starting point.

Sounds good, but to clarify, it's not populated in BeerSmith? I love the auto conversions to my 2.5g equipment. Thanks.

This thread is too good to let die! Anybody confirm a good clone recipe yet?

Here is mine, it is what others have done and comes out imperceptible from the Three Floyds stuff. People here like this quite a bit.

Gumballhead Wheat Clone
Created Sunday January 28th 2018

triethylborane
Method: All GrainStyle: American Wheat Beer
Boil Time: 60 minBatch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)Pre Boil Size: 7.5 gallonsPre Boil Gravity: 1.042 (recipe based estimate)Efficiency: 70% (brew house)Source: TEB@HBTCalories: 174 calories (Per 12oz)Carbs: 21 g (Per 12oz)

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
4.55%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (morey):

Mash pH
go with whatever you use for an american wheat ale

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
6 lb American - Red Wheat 38 2.5 50%
5 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 41.7%
1 lb Belgian - CaraVienne 34 20 8.3%
12 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU Bill %
0.25 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 First Wort 8.07 5%
0.25 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 60 min 7.34 5%
0.5 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 15 min 7.28 10%
1.25 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 5 min 7.31 25%
1 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 1 min 1.27 20%
1.75 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Dry Hop 7 days 35%

Yeast
White Labs - English Ale Yeast WLP002
Amount:
Attenuation (avg):
66.5%
Flocculation:
Very High
Optimum Temp:
65 - 68 °F
Starter:
Yes
Fermentation Temp:
64 °F
Pitch Rate:
1.0 (M cells / ml / ° P) 292 B cells required

Notes
Can use WLP008 East Coast Ale.

Dry hop to occur with krausen.

Start ferm at 62-64f, ramp to 67-68f after 5 days, 70f for clean-up and dry hop for 3 days. Cold crash 2 days.

What was the target water profile for this beer? Thanks

I use Denver water, mash pH around 5.5 and I add a campden tablet to my liquor tank to remove chlorine. If you have an american wheat or a NEIPA water profile, that probably will work.

Thanks, I have a NEIPA profile but never tried an American Wheat so didnt know what I should be aiming for. I was searching for an American Wheat water profile but couldn't find one. I was initially going to go with Beersmiths yellow balanced:

Ca:50 Mg:7 Na:5 SO4:75 Cl:60

Rivet

I decided this Hoppy Wheat clone of Gumball Head would have a dedicated spot on my 5 tap tower. I brewed my second batch yesterday, and I decided I'd try something to compare to see if I like even better:

This beer has all Amarillo hops with 3 ounces spread out during the boil, then 1 more ounce dry hopped when kegging. BeerSmith puts me in the range of 35 IBU's with this recipe. I really like Sorachi Ace hops and the faint pop of lemon and dill it offers in the correct proportion. So when it comes to the dry hopping stage, I think I may use .75 oz of Amarillo and .75 oz of Sorachi Ace mixed together.

I know the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" applies, but I am willing to try this since I keep thinking the combos would be well suited for each other in such a situation as dry hopping. If anyone has tried this combo and feel it is not pleasant, please holler and keep me from messing up a great beer!!!

Morrey, I'm interested in learning how your dry hopping, and any other, variations of this beer turned out (in case I missed it). I'm also interested in knowing if it is on the BeerSmith cloud. Thx!

Got my hands on a sixer of this when traveling in Ohio last month. Really good single hop wheat beer. Going to be brewing up a batch this weekend, but need to check the freezer to see if i have enough Amarillo.

Also, a lot of the recipes in the Beersmith cloud say "red wheat" but reading the description right on the can says made with White Wheat. Any one that's brewed this before have any input on which Wheat to use ????? or should this be a mix of red & white wheats?

Got my hands on a sixer of this when traveling in Ohio last month. Really good single hop wheat beer. Going to be brewing up a batch this weekend, but need to check the freezer to see if i have enough Amarillo.

Also, a lot of the recipes in the Beersmith cloud say "red wheat" but reading the description right on the can says made with White Wheat. Any one that's brewed this before have any input on which Wheat to use ????? or should this be a mix of red & white wheats?

doesn’t matter.....the color won’t really make a flavor difference, I think it’s more important in the baking world. Use whatever you have on hand.

doesn’t matter.....the color won’t really make a flavor difference, I think it’s more important in the baking world. Use whatever you have on hand.

Brewed up something very similar to the Great Fermentations Amarillo Face recipe. I added more hops because mine were old and because why not? It turned out great. Nice easy drinking beer. I grabbed a single to compare to mine. Unfortunately the real thing was bottled in July. The real thing is a little maltier so I like mine better. I'm guessing the recipes here would be closer.

IMG_0529 Copy.JPG

Have anyone brewed a Gumball clone with kveik?
At least I suppose the Oslo from Bootleg Biology should work.

I consider it, so it would be nice to know if anyone have experience. When did you dry hop?

Back