Guide me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a Kegerator from craigslist, but needed to know some things.

What is the up keep?
How long will the beer stay fresh on tap?
Can you bottle from the tap? (to send to friends)
Is it expensive to clean?
Is it a pain to rotate different brews if you only have 1 keg?

Thanks...

1) The cost of CO2 and replacement gaskets, which averages out to pennies per batch.

2) Assuming you purge excess headspace with CO2 (which you will with a kegging setup) almost indefinately.

3) YES! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/ should be mandatory reading for anyone who even thinks about kegging.

4) No more than anything else. CIP cleaners like Oxiclean and PBW help, a carboy brush will take it further, and sanitize as per usual.

5) With QD's, no. Snap, snap, snap, snap, and you've got a different brew on tap.

Pretty much what llama. The only thing I'd disagree on is that last one. If you just have one tap and like to drink a large variety at any given time, it is going to be a bit of a pain opening the fridge/freezer and swapping out beer every time you want a different one.

I wouldn't recommend building/buying a kegerator with less than 2 taps personally, at that point it doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort. However, I like great variety in most things (especially beer), so I'm not one to even buy the same six pack back-to-back most times, excepting Terrapin RyePA.

I agree with llama. the only disadvantages to single faucet is that unless there is room to keep another keg cold, you won't be drinking what you swapped tonight. It takes hours to cool 5 gallons from room temp. Remember the adage "2 taps are better than one."
Personally I have three, one pale, one dark, and one Belgian, with room to store one more cold on deck.

Back