Guerrilla Hop-fare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

60acresbrewclub

Reaction score
Has anyone ever planted hops in a forest clearing with good southern exposure...I live in a condo and have no place to grow.

I'd probably use a string to let it do its bine thing that way by the time I move a bigger place I can move it...am I crazy?

Just my opinion -

Not a fan of purposely planting a highly invasive plant onto an ecosystem where it could damage native foliage. Sure, it can found in the wild, but purposely putting it there's a different story.

Besides the other points above unless the hops get full day sunshine (14+ summertime hours) they will not do well. I tried doing what you described and trees shaded the plants for the first and last thirds of the day. Those plants will be moved next spring.

Results vary. My property is shaded by large oaks, I doubt my hops get more than 7 hours of sun on the best days. And I'm sure they would produce better on poles in all day sun. But I pick hops and brew them anyway.

Back