Guam Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished kegging the first batch of a Rogue Imperial IPA, looking to brew a Yuengling clone next weekend (hopefully).

Anyone know of a homebrew club on the island?

To my knowledge, there isn't a homebrew club on the island, but I know there are, at least, 5 or 6 homebrewers on the island right now. A couple of them I have brewed with, but we've never gotten together for anything otherwise.

Makes me wonder if one were to start would it gain momentum? From the local club that was in the town I came from sprouted several breweries.

I'd say that if you are new to Guam, I'd get a lay of the land before making that determination. I started brewing here. There is no bad time to start brewing, but it is certainly more expensive to start here. I wished there was a brew club locally that I could have gone to for assistance. In the end, I found myself here and meeting Guam brewers and learning all the same. As for breweries, I think there were two when I first got here. Neither are still around. One recently opened, Tap House. I just went for the first time last night--not bad, but limited on beers. They sale locally brewed and commercial beers on tap.

We PCS'd here last June, I've done 4 or 5 10 gallon batches, so far so good I can tell that the liquid yeast I got from Bill at HBIP was stressed have started doing just dry yeast.

Biggest challenges so far are hops/yeast substitutes, wort cooling (tap water is hotter than SoCal) and finding a good place to ferment.

I've been to the tap house, reminds me of home, I hope they are successful. I have had a better experience so far at Tap House than at Mermaids. Intrested to see what the new Mermaids will be like.

Ya...I am 50/50 on liquid yeast in the mail. It is getting summer time now so it will be hard to get decent yeast. If you decide to try it, place the order and put notes to have Bill ship it out on Tuesday (they are closed on their Mondays). When he does that, I typically have it by Thursday/Friday and propagate it immediately. If you have a stir plate to continue propagation, I'd be happy to share. I have some 1084, 1318, and 1056.

For cooling, I immersion chiller to get it below 95F, put it in fermenter, then ice bath it to 65ish in my laundry room wash bin.

Back