Grunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tad.
Melvins.
Tool.
Mentors.
in my opinion, are grunge. im not sure what soundgarden is. ive liked them since they released ultramega. beyond the wheel is one of the best songs they made. anyway, saying pearl jam and soundgarden are both "grunge" seems like a stretch. i dont agree with the "media" on that one.

*thats right! i said Tool! listen to undertow.

Tool is prog-metal at it's most primary. They're less "grunge" than Soundgarden for sure.

I saw a copy of "Dirty Blond" her autobiography when I was at Half Price the other day.

All I could think to myself was "It should have been you. It should have been you." while I shook my head and cried.

They asked me to leave, but did I? Of course, to no leave would have been totally metal.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgexxKf_tXE[/ame]

Best First Album Ever. EVER.

I saw a copy of "Dirty Blond" her autobiography when I was at Half Price the other day.

All I could think to myself was "It should have been you. It should have been you." while I shook my head and cried.

They asked me to leave, but did I? Of course, to no leave would have been totally metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgexxKf_tXE

Forever ever? Forever ever?

I dunno, Ten is pretty flawless too. I'd submit Ramones here too, but we're not talking punk rock.

Tad.
Melvins.
Tool.
Mentors.
in my opinion, are grunge. im not sure what soundgarden is. ive liked them since they released ultramega. beyond the wheel is one of the best songs they made. anyway, saying pearl jam and soundgarden are both "grunge" seems like a stretch. i dont agree with the "media" on that one.

*thats right! i said Tool! listen to undertow.

No.

I agree with him. Undertow is definitely grunge derived, more so than their other works.

I love Tool. Like, would have a Tool tattoo across my chest if it just wasn't a giant tattoo that suggested I was a tool.

I agree with him. Undertow is definitely grunge derived, more so than their other works.

I love Tool. Like, would have a Tool tattoo across my chest if it just wasn't a giant tattoo that suggested I was a tool.

I so totally unagree that I'm pissed off.

I'll call their sound from that phase their "early-experimental prog/alt metal" phase because it was so not grungy... maybe the time period in which it was released was, but to shoehorn the raw sound and talent of Tool into the grunge genre is straight up blasphemy. Even their time signatures and rhythms on Undertow were so above and beyond what any grunge band has done or ever will do (mostly thanks to Danny Carey, obv.).

Oh, and Maynard is rolling over in his vineyard right now for us even trying to label their style.

Undertow is not a grunge record any more than Candlebox is. They just aren't. Stop trying to make fetch happen.

Yeah I just quoted mean girls.

Undertow definitely has some strong grunge elements to it I think, though I'd still be reluctant to throw them, or even that album, into that category. By the next album they're solidly prog/experimental/art rock.

I find Psylocide's vehemence amusing, though. :D

Oh, and I've the Lateralus eye inked on one of my chesticles. :rockin:

Undertow definitely has some strong grunge elements to it I think, though I'd still be reluctant to throw them, or even that album, into that category. By the next album they're solidly prog/experimental/art rock.

I find Psylocide's vehemence amusing, though. :D

Oh, and I've the Lateralus eye inked on one of my chesticles. :rockin:

Well, and to be perfectly honest here, I funking hate those "well, actually" guys when it comes to music genres.

But Tool. Tool is my rock. They are the light in the darkness.

To put them and Pearl Jam or Nirvana in the same genre is just, well, wrong.

Whatever though, still a fan of @Austin , even if he doesn't ride the spiral to the end. But, who am I to wave my finger? I'm eyehole deep in muddy waters. Maybe I've been wallowing in my own confused and insecure delusions. That's ok though, for one sweet moment, I am whole.

I so totally unagree that I'm pissed off.

I'll call their sound from that phase their "early-experimental prog/alt metal" phase because it was so not grungy... maybe the time period in which it was released was, but to shoehorn the raw sound and talent of Tool into the grunge genre is straight up blasphemy. Even their time signatures and rhythms on Undertow were so above and beyond what any grunge band has done or ever will do (mostly thanks to Danny Carey, obv.).

Oh, and Maynard is rolling over in his vineyard right now for us even trying to label their style.

I'm not labeling. Tool is Tool.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5sIXUbMgF0[/ame]

So amazing.

All the same, want to piss someone off? I think Blur is super grungy.

I love Damon Albarn, like I would have a giant Damon Albarn tattoo on my chest it wasn't just a pic of a dude on my chest.

Kidding Blur isn't Grunge, but if we're pissing of our idols it seems like as good place as any.

If you haven't, listen to Everyday Robots. It blew my mind.

I'll be the "well actually" guy. Matt Cameron from Soundgarden messes around with weird time signatures too. Maybe not on the level of Danny Carey, but he doesn't just play boring 4/4 stuff all the time.

I've always liked grunge. AIC and Tool are two of my favorites. I like Tool especially--it's like crossing Black Sabbath with Pink Floyd in some ways.

I disagree. I think it's a great album, but for me without thinking too much, better (IMO) first Albums

Van Halen - Van Halen
Ten - Pearl Jam
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys
Appetite for Destruction - GNR
Are you Experienced - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Illmatic - Nas
Enter the Wu-Tang - Covid Clan
Greetings from Asbury Park - The Boss
Slim Shady LP - Eminem
Dirt - Alice in Chains

That's without thinking too much. I coudl think more I'm sure.

I disagree. I think it's a great album, but for me without thinking too much, better (IMO) first Albums

Van Halen - Van Halen

Ten - Pearl Jam

Illmatic - Nas

Slim Shady LP - Eminem

Dirt - Alice in Chains

Dirt was not AIC's first. Nor Licence to Ill the Beasties. Rest of the list reads like you write for Rolling Stone. Doesn't make it wrong. Just safe.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about Mother Love Bone, Smashing Pumpkins, or STP. Crazy good tunes from those bands...

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about Mother Love Bone, Smashing Pumpkins, or STP. Crazy good tunes from those bands...

Oh, speaking of awesome first records, GISH!!!!!

(Fun fact - recorded at Smart Studios, not far from the University of Wisconsin campus in beautiful Madison, WI. Parts of Nevermind were recorded there too.)

Because no one ever listened to Mother Love Bone, STP started as grunge lite and just got better, and the Pumpkins weren't grunge.

Took you guys way too long to mention Alice in Chains. Nirvana wishes they were AIC.

I left them off my original list, completely by accident.

I'm 100% certain that the remaining members of Nirvana kind of wish they were still Nirvana.

Van Halen - Van Halen
Ten - Pearl Jam
Illmatic - Nas
Slim Shady LP - Eminem
Dirt - Alice in Chains

So much wrong here I don't know where to start.

First, Van Halen, and even more so Van Hagar is the worst band ever. EVER.

Yes, Ten is rad.

Led Zeppelin? I concede on that one. Led Zeppelin is the foundation in which all our music was born. I would get a huge tattoo on my chest of a Led Zeppelin if it didn't mean covering up all my other chest tattoos.

Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys - Not their first album.

Appetite for Destruction - GNR - Maybe it's just me, but I've never wanted a band to chike on their vomit all at once. How do we lose Hendrix but still have Rose? You want proof there's no god? That's it.

Are you Experienced - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Not his first Album

Illmatic - Nas - Never listened so I can't comment.

Enter the Wu-Tang - Covid Clan - Great Album, but not the best first album ever.

Greetings from Asbury Park - The Boss - Who?

Slim Shady LP - Eminen - Well done album, but not my thing.

For the record in terms of rap, and music in general, Pharrell Williams is a living legend. Everything he touches turns to gold, just to add to my street cred a bit.

I love Damon Albarn, like I would have a giant Damon Albarn tattoo on my chest it wasn't just a pic of a dude on my chest.

I would get a huge tattoo on my chest of a Led Zeppelin if it didn't mean covering up all my other chest tattoos.

Lulz. :D

First, Van Halen, and even more so Van Hagar is the worst band ever. EVER.

This is borderline sacrilege. I agree with you on Van Hagar, but Van Halen was great. The self titled debut included amazing hits like Running with the Devil, Eruption, You Really Got Me, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Jamie's Crying, Feel Your Love, and Ice Cream man. Hating on Van Halen is like hating on ice cream, It's just wrong

Yes, Ten is rad.

Ten is beyond rad, its' a fantastic insight into Eddie Vedders soul, one of the most intensely written albums ever.

Led Zeppelin? I concede on that one. Led Zeppelin is the foundation in which all our music was born. I would get a huge tattoo on my chest of a Led Zeppelin if it didn't mean covering up all my other chest tattoos.

I even got a tattoo with your name across the chest.

Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys - Not their first album.

YEs it is. Polly Wag Stew is an EP. Albums aren't EPs. I don't consider Jar of Flies an album, or Mirken Ball.

Appetite for Destruction - GNR - Maybe it's just me, but I've never wanted a band to chike on their vomit all at once. How do we lose Hendrix but still have Rose? You want proof there's no god? That's it.

I'm not an Axl fan because of his personality. But Appetite is one of the best albums of all time, first or not. Welcome to the Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Borwnstone, Paradise City, My Michelle, Sweet Child 'o Mine,

Are you Experienced - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Not his first Album

Most certainly is the first album for them.

Illmatic - Nas - Never listened so I can't comment.

You should. granted it's not for everyone. But it is a classic album

Enter the Wu-Tang - Covid Clan - Great Album, but not the best first album ever.

Never said it was the best, just better than Bleach :mug:

Greetings from Asbury Park - The Boss - Who?

Do you want to start a war with New Jersey? The Boss, Bruce Springsteen, the greatest ever.

Slim Shady LP - Eminen - Well done album, but not my thing.

Fair enough. But it's still amazing haha.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4447lT5GQOk[/ame]

One of the rare cases were the remake is better then the original.

I read once that they were jammin in the studio and did this song just for fun, but it turned out so good that they released it.

One of the rare cases were the remake is better then the original.

I read once that they were jammin in the studio and did this song just for fun, but it turned out so good that they released it.

The story I heard was Eddie found the record at a record store and convinced the band to start playing it live. The original release was released as the B-Side for the Ten Club christmas album. I'm not sure if trhey redid or remixed it for the single.

Back