grr...not broken surface yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakerebel

Reaction score
Planted 4 centennials 1.5 weeks ago and nothing. I soaked in was water an hour prior to planting and covered with roughly an inch of soil. The ground looks great, since its in a garden but no go. How long do I wait to do anything?

BTW, I took the 5th rhyzome and planted in a pot indoors and its 8" already.

Is the ground too cold here in Mn still?

Mine are new too. They took about ten days to show anything. I'm on Long Island NY, so it's warmer here. Be patient, they'll grow. There's nothing else you can do but wait.

It sounds like you did everything right. Just needs a bit more time.

I planted way too early this year and lost 2/3rd's of my new hops. Dumb mistake. I knew I was taking a chance planting early but it didnt help that we had the rainiest spring on record in Chicago. coupled with the cold spring, they never had a chance, they just rotted out. The two that survived though (both cascade) - they are looking great!

Hmmmm...so you're saying i need patience...

I have a hard time finding it for my bottles to finish conditioning... lol

Thx for the encouragement tho

Dont do what i did, and get antsy and start digging around your plants to look for shoots.

I did this and even with extreme care i barely brushed a shoot that was maybe half an inch from breaking the surface and snapped it off at the rhizome. I wasnt happy with myself.

Let it go, theres nothing you can do at this point.

mine haven't come up yet either. But I also put them in about 2 inches deep.

They have only been in for a week and a half though, so I'm not too worried yet.

yep it's pretty much wait and hope it happens. Only about 2/3rds of the rhizomes I planted this year sprouted, and some of them took their sweet time before sprouting. 9 out of 13 sprouted, three of which are doing amazing, three somewhere in the middle and three are just little green things sticking out of the ground.
One sprouted within two days, two additional sprouted within a week, the rest took between two and four weeks to sprout.
"Next time" I buy crowns instead of rhizomes, but I doubt there will be a next time.

What?...wait...could it be...

By Jove...I think it is...

I think the kids are coming out to play. Two out of four anyways. Hopefully the other two aren't far off the pace.

And BTW, his long is the actual harvest cycle of hops, in particular centennial?

I planted hops for the first time this year and was getting anxious as nothing came up for about 3 weeks from my Challenger rhizome. Like FuzzeWuzze said, since there was nothing I could do I just left them. It's been raining like crazy here so I didn't even have to water them.

I checked yesterday, and finally I got a shoot with two small leafs on it! :D

I planted 3 this year, and ive been watering them with compost tea.

I have one Cascade that's 4 feet already on the main shoot, with its second one making an effort to climb up and join it.

The second Cascade got snapped off early by something...either one of the kids or a critter at night. It's now making a comeback and has a good main shoot coming up. I'll probably knock off any additional ones that come up just to give this little survivor a boost.

And my Centennial has about 6 shoots, the tallest being about a foot. Ive trained the second tallest at 6 inches to follow and climb the main one, and I have a third shoot looking very strong and I'll probably let that one go on up too; clip back the rest.

I planted 120 rhizomes 2 weeks ago and currently have 11 sprouting. Each day or two another seems to peak out but I can tell you the waiting is killing me! I am sure yours will all be up soon enough.

I planted 3 this year, and ive been watering them with compost tea.

I have one Cascade that's 4 feet already on the main shoot, with its second one making an effort to climb up and join it.

The second Cascade got snapped off early by something...either one of the kids or a critter at night. It's now making a comeback and has a good main shoot coming up. I'll probably knock off any additional ones that come up just to give this little survivor a boost.

And my Centennial has about 6 shoots, the tallest being about a foot. Ive trained the second tallest at 6 inches to follow and climb the main one, and I have a third shoot looking very strong and I'll probably let that one go on up too; clip back the rest.

Show-off! :) Kidding, of course. Hoppy for your success. I have ten sprouts now, four out of five rhizomes. All have leaves, but the plants are small. However, it is still cool here (55 now).

Show-off! :) Kidding, of course. Hoppy for your success. I have ten sprouts now, four out of five rhizomes. All have leaves, but the plants are small. However, it is still cool here (55 now).

Lmao, I love gardening though. I'm learning about soil biology right now.

Well I transferred the indoor cent to outside in a large whiskey barrel while the other 4are in the garden. Only one 12" shoot on the indoor guy and am seeing many on the garden ones break ground with 3-5 per. There are still two to appear but the outside ones seem beefier? Does that happen due to growing conditions I assume? We'll see how the transplanted one takes off now in its bigger home with fresh air.

Yeah, if they're all seeming 'beefier' in a certain area then the soil there probably has a bit more phosphorus/humus in it. When I make compost, I always try to make sure I get enough browns (or rather carbon) into the mix. A huge amount of nitrogen is cool to see plants that take off and grow tall and fast, but if there's not enough carbon in the mix, then that's all it'll do. Then you're left with a plant that hasnt grown stable enough, as well as burning out from way too much nitrogen. A balanced compost will still do a lot for your plants, so if anything aim for making beefier plants. It's not a race, and you'll have better hops for it ;)

so, it's been 2.5 weeks and 2 of the 5 have not broke ground. how long should i wait to do an autopsy? i'd like to know what happened...if i overwatered or other but i don't want to destroy the slow-pokes as they're doing their thing. i would like to order in some more from whoever has got any left but... and then it makes me want to start them in a pot and transfer...i guess i'm just curious why these arn't taking off, again maybe i'm too impatient.

but to say that they're dead in the water, what could a person look for as to a reason? rotted? color? bugs? or is there just the risk that not all will sprout?

I don't know. I'm don't think I could tell from looking at them. While four of my five sprouted, the two on the left have produced more sprouts and more growth than those on the right. I doubt there could be much difference in soil or water. I suspect that those were just hardier. Yours may not have been healthy to begin with, though you got growth on 3/5, I on 4/5. Not so different.

so, it's been 2.5 weeks and 2 of the 5 have not broke ground. how long should i wait to do an autopsy? i'd like to know what happened...if i overwatered or other but i don't want to destroy the slow-pokes as they're doing their thing. i would like to order in some more from whoever has got any left but... and then it makes me want to start them in a pot and transfer...i guess i'm just curious why these arn't taking off, again maybe i'm too impatient.

but to say that they're dead in the water, what could a person look for as to a reason? rotted? color? bugs? or is there just the risk that not all will sprout?

I am by no means an expert here but, I have sprouts coming up daily from plants I sunk 3+ weeks ago. I haven't gone out today but the count was 15 of 120 yesterday with the tiny little guy just peaking up from the soil. I say relax and just keep on doing what is working for the others to the ones that haven't sprouted yet. I feel you on the impatient thing as my neighbor dug up some cascades he had and gave them to me a week or so ago and they had leaves and a nice bine on each. I planted them and they all just lost leaves and appears to die. I cut them back and play the waiting game. Just chill and give it time. After a month I would start asking around again I guess.

Well, one more plant showed its face! Now only one to go...but they are all slow to grow. And the one I moved outside keeps wanting to uncurl from the ripe I strung...and I am going clockwise. Its funny since he had no issue climbing the welding stick that was in his smaller prior pot. Maybe stress from the transfer?

My experience with Centennial thus far has been that it is pretty finicky. Mine broke ground a couple months ago with probably 5 shoots, and they are not much more than 5-6" tall. That's on a second year plant. But I will say that I did transplant it this year, so maybe year 3 will be better.

My experience with Centennial thus far has been that it is pretty finicky. Mine broke ground a couple months ago with probably 5 shoots, and they are not much more than 5-6" tall. That's on a second year plant. But I will say that I did transplant it this year, so maybe year 3 will be better.

Agreed. My centennial is definitely not as eager as its cascade cousin!

Are the leaves yellowing at all or anything? Both my Columbus and Newport were stunted for several weeks and started yellowing...as soon as i hit them with some Miracle Gro they took right off.

Are the leaves yellowing at all or anything? Both my Columbus and Newport were stunted for several weeks and started yellowing...as soon as i hit them with some Miracle Gro they took right off.

Yeah, the leaves didn't look healthy at all BUT, since I posted it has actually started to show some signs of life. I've got some nice new shoots coming that look nice and healthy. We had huge storm come through the area and once it passed through I didn't water them for about 5 days. Which makes me think I need to ease up on watering a bit, especially the Centennial.

Actually that makes sense. Not sure why I didn't google the watering needs of each kind but my centennial actually got much better after I got lax on the watering...stressful week and I got wrapped up in other stuff

well to update: 3 out of the 5 are doing swell. The potted guy is almost 4', one in the garden is about 3', another in the garden is almost a foot, one never shot up (must be dead) and the last little guy prolly croaked as well...he was about 2" tall then took a turn for the worse/turned yellow/shriveled up and is now showing signs of rigor mortise unfortunately.

and now i actually see that there are places still selling ready-plants...what is the likelyhood that they'll take off in the middle of summer (Minnesota)? just keep 'er watered? or not watered in my case (prolly over watered mine that died).

I planted 6 nugget rhizomes 17 days ago in a bucket and I have maybe 8-12 shoots. One is 14” already.
My other plants I used only 1 rhizome each(bad idea) Willamette from rhizome has 3 shoots(8”). Cascade(starter) has 4 shoots(12”). Centennial(starter) has 3 shoots(12”) the starters seem to have stopped growing. I dug them up yesterday and replanted with a peat moss and chicken manure mixture. I hope I didn’t doom these guys.
Any recommendations on a fertilizer for later in the summer?

well to update: 3 out of the 5 are doing swell. The potted guy is almost 4', one in the garden is about 3', another in the garden is almost a foot, one never shot up (must be dead) and the last little guy prolly croaked as well...he was about 2" tall then took a turn for the worse/turned yellow/shriveled up and is now showing signs of rigor mortise unfortunately.

and now i actually see that there are places still selling ready-plants...what is the likelyhood that they'll take off in the middle of summer (Minnesota)? just keep 'er watered? or not watered in my case (prolly over watered mine that died).

I think it depends on when you want crop. Will they produce this year? Maybe not, but they'll have a big jump on next year. Mine are rhizomes, planted in May, iirc. They are 4' at most. I may not get hops this year, but I'll get some next year. So, if you want a jumpstart, pay extra and get the crowns.

Latest posts

Back