Growler filling for just a few hours drinking time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosschk

Working on a good one.....
Reaction score
Hey its me again,

I picked up a 64 growler to move the beer from my garage where the keezer is to my kitchen on another floor.

64oz is just about my usual amount of beer for the night so......

Since it's only for a few hours do I need to use some kind of tubing, gun ect, or will it be fine with a party tap pour and just close the top and keep in the fridge till empty? More often than not it will be done before going to bed

If it is recommended to use attachments, would an open ended qd with about 20-30 feet of tubing work? Fill the growler from the bottom up and yank the connecter off when its full?

TIA

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but fo me, a growler becomes the same as a pitcher.. open growler, pour beer into glass, close, repeat until growler is empty.
Thats the plan.

That will work just fine. Once you open it, treat it like an open beer. As long as you don't slosh it around a ton, it most likely would be ok the next day as well. I've finished a growler the next day, and it was fine.

For me, this is an excellent and enduring question. As folks have observed, an open growler is functionally an open pitcher. Pour your first glass at 6 PM and your last at 10 PM is flat. Regardless of how carefully it's filled, pop that top once and pour a glass and the carbonation is plummeting. Bought these thinking of doing a couple of pressurized bottles for the night - haven't fooled around with them yet
Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 16.29.34.png

View attachment 784029

this is the way i fill a couple 1 liter soda bottles from a picnic tap.... 1/4" vinyl line fits perfect, and a rubber stopper to keep the pour slow, just gently vent here and there as pouring....
Thats kinda what i had in mind but this way i dont have to yank the qd off in perfect synchronization

Thats kinda what i had in mind but this way i dont have to yank the qd off in perfect synchronization

you want the pressure to build in the container being filled. that way the carbonation doesn't come out of the beer....

a guy could probably rig a spunding valve as a counter pressure filler too?

Or, and hear me out.. you could put a kegerator in your kitchen. Doesn't have to be anything too big, 1-3 taps. Think of all the energy your would save, I haven't done the math, but it's got to be alot of energy to move that much mass from garage to kitchen and even more if you are carrying 4 pints of beer.

Has it got a lid big enough you could put a liquid bulkhead post on.
Then you could put a tube from sodastream tube to a liquid ball lock to regas it and then take that off and fit party tap on.

Has it got a lid big enough you could put a liquid bulkhead post on.
Then you could put a tube from sodastream tube to a liquid ball lock to regas it and then take that off and fit party tap on.
After ready all the replies, I am going to return it for a 64oz mini keg lol

I really hate flat beer lol
Growlers (they're just large bottles, basically) or plastic bottles don't keep great carbonation. In addition to the carbonation that's lost while filling them from the keg, even with a counter pressure stopper over the cane, and using a carb cap on the plastic bottles (but never on a glass growler!).

The "mini keg" may work better for you. Some homebrewers in our club bring their beer in them, occasionally.
The mini kegs also lose carbonation while filling from your kegs/taps, just like a growler. But some offer the use of a mini CO2 cartridge to bring carbonation back up, keeping the beer carbonated, and dispense with CO2.

The largest drawback for daily use is that those mini cartridges are fairly pricey for the amount of CO2 they contain. After a year you may as well have bought an extra fridge or freezer and converted it into a multi-tap kegerator/keezer...

Other thoughts:
  • Get small 2.5 gallon kegs (or smaller, if you can find them) for your home kegerator/keezer. Fill them through a keg-to-keg jumper from your large ones in the garage. You may be able to put 4-6 of those small ones in your home kegerator/keezer, especially if they can be stacked.
  • Put your the keezer inside the home.
  • Walk to your garage and back for each pour. Exercise is good for you.

Growlers (they're just large bottles, basically) or plastic bottles don't keep great carbonation. In addition to the carbonation that's lost while filling them from the keg, even with a counter pressure stopper over the cane, and using a carb cap on the plastic bottles (but never on a glass growler!).

The "mini keg" may work better for you. Some homebrewers in our club bring their beer in them, occasionally.
The mini kegs also lose carbonation while filling from your kegs/taps, just like a growler. But some offer the use of a mini CO2 cartridge to bring carbonation back up, keeping the beer carbonated, and dispense with CO2.

The largest drawback for daily use is that those mini cartridges are fairly pricey for the amount of CO2 they contain. After a year you may as well have bought an extra fridge or freezer and converted it into a multi-tap kegerator/keezer...

Other thoughts:
  • Get small 2.5 gallon kegs (or smaller, if you can find them) for your home kegerator/keezer. Fill them through a keg-to-keg jumper from your large ones in the garage. You may be able to put 4-6 of those small ones in your home kegerator/keezer, especially if they can be stacked.
  • Put your the keezer inside the home.
  • Walk to your garage and back for each pour. Exercise is good for you.
Well written -

For me, this is an excellent and enduring question. As folks have observed, an open growler is functionally an open pitcher. Pour your first glass at 6 PM and your last at 10 PM is flat. Regardless of how carefully it's filled, pop that top once and pour a glass and the carbonation is plummeting. Bought these thinking of doing a couple of pressurized bottles for the night - haven't fooled around with them yet
View attachment 784028
I routinely fill 32oz and 64oz growlers to take to meetings and parties. As long as you aren't keeping them open for long periods of time and shaking them, they keep carbed for the night. I've poured the end of a growler the next day, and it's carbed enough to drink. Not ideal, but for what the OP is doing, it's more than fine.

Get small 2.5 gallon kegs (or smaller, if you can find them) for your home kegerator/keezer. Fill them through a keg-to-keg jumper from your large ones in the garage. You may be able to put 4-6 of those small ones in your home kegerator/keezer, especially if they can be stacked.

Thats what i am starting with 😀...my kegs are 2.5 gallons

Put your the keezer inside the home

I was looking at this option when I thought my current keezer was dying

Walk to your garage and back for each pour. Exercise is good for you.

Sound good but there's outside stairs involved and winter is coming and I'm starting to get old, probably break a hip or something lol

I was there to at one time. Hunt around for a smaller keg. I picked up a one gallon corny keg - really hard to find. Someone in the club snagged a few of them but I haven't seen them since.

Use 1L plastic pop bottles, like you buy your tonic water in for G&Ts. Two of 'em for a night. ;) Much less surface area for the beer to off-gas CO2 when it's half full. The second one doesn't lose carbonation while it's waiting to be opened, and if you change your mind about drinking the second one just leave it in the fridge for tomorrow.

If you have a helper to drink it, you can use a 2L bottle.

Using a traditional growler, open it at 6:00 and your 10:00 pour should still be carbonated enough if you keep the growler cold. It'll be flat if you let it warm up too much. Pour gently and put the cap back on between pours (that cap won't really help that much but it will help a little)

Lets go pro here! Run a line from the keezer to the kitchen with loop of other line. put the whole thing in those pool noodles. put a jug of glycol and a small pump in the keezer and circulate through the other looped line to keep the whole thing cool. Have a nice tap tower right next to the kitchen sink.

Lets go pro here! Run a line from the keezer to the kitchen with loop of other line. put the whole thing in those pool noodles. put a jug of glycol and a small pump in the keezer and circulate through the other looped line to keep the whole thing cool. Have a nice tap tower right next to the kitchen sink.
Omg that sounds awesome. The kitchen is over the garage so itnwould be easy

Back