Growing over a privacy fence?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyboy

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got a 7 foot privacy fence in my backyard. What I'm thinking about doing this year, rather than building a trellis, is to hang some twine down between the planks of my fence and let my hops vines run up that and over the other side. I've got one second year plant and I'll be planting two more rhizomes this year. Does anyone do this? How does it work? My neighbor won't care.

First I would use something stronger than twine unless you support the twine every couple feet. Adult hops bines can get rather heavy especially after a rain.

Hops will naturally try to grow straight up so during the peak growing period you will have to train the bine every couple days. Just grab the end of the bine and gently bend it down and twist it around the rope. As long as the soil is good and the bine can get good light growing horizontal does not seem to hurt hops production and they are easy to pick.

Back